Fuel pulsator modification by shurlbert
Started on: 10-03-2014 01:56 AM
Replies: 6 (615 views)
Last post by: Alex.07.86GT on 10-03-2014 09:53 PM
shurlbert

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2014 01:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for shurlbertSend a Private Message to shurlbertEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I recently solved a fuel delivery problem on my car by eliminating the fuel pulsator.I love that the car is running well now, but am not crazy about the noise from the fuel pump as a result of eliminating the pulsator. Does anyone know of a mod to install a pulsator outside the tank? Do other vehicles have the pulsator mounted outside, or is that even practical or possible?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2014 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some forum members use submersible fuel line, in replacement of the pulsater (along with 2 small metal fuel clamps). I have used regular fuel line befor. with California useing ethonal, I recentley pulled the tank and noticed how regular fuel line could become very soft if the car sits for a long period of time (1 year or more).(Those of you forum members out there,who don't allready know,the purpose of the pulsator is to reduce the noise of the fuel pump).
Alex.07.86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2014 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex.07.86GTSend a Private Message to Alex.07.86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you didnt use 30R10 / Submersible fuel line inside your tank, you should open the tank before the 2 inch piece of Fuel Injection hose rots or bursts!

Putting a pulsator outside the tank sounds dangerous as they dont clamp on.

If you didnt install a new pump you should now. Some new pumps are so quiet! The new pumps dont even require a pulsator but you can buy a new one $20 i'v seen them hanging in the HELP parts section in auto parts stores.

Pulsators never go bad! What happen to yours???

[This message has been edited by Alex.07.86GT (edited 10-03-2014).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2014 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex.07.86GT:

If you didnt use 30R10 / Submersible fuel line inside your tank, you should open the tank before the 2 inch piece of Fuel Injection hose rots or bursts!

Putting a pulsator outside the tank sounds dangerous as they dont clamp on.

If you didnt install a new pump you should now. Some new pumps are so quiet! The new pumps dont even require a pulsator but you can buy a new one $20 i'v seen them hanging in the HELP parts section in auto parts stores.

Pulsators never go bad! What happen to yours???

The pulsator may last a long time but after 25 yrs in the gas tanks with ethanol laced fuel and todays additives, most of the pulsators in our cars are bad or about to go bad. Nothing lasts forever! A pulsator is only required with an AC Delco type gyrator pump who's output pulsates. With a turbine pump like a Bosch 69225 there are no fuel line pulses ; a pulsator is not required and the pump runs very quiet.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Alex.07.86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2014 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex.07.86GTSend a Private Message to Alex.07.86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
a $15 pulsator saves some money vs a $20 -$30 piece of 30R10 Submersible Hose plus 2 FI Clamps!

I just dont know if the new pumps are designed to fit a pulsator, when they dont need one. So I bought the 30R10 with FI clamps.

shurlbert

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2014 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shurlbertSend a Private Message to shurlbertEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did use submersable fuel line.

When I purchased the car 3 1/2 years ago, I replaced the fuel pump and pulsator. In the process of fixing the car's various problems I put about 40 miles on the new fuel pump and pulsator and then the car developed a problem (loss of fuel pressure). I just replaced that new pump with another new pump and eliminated the pulsator. Fuel pressure loss problem solved and the car runs great.

I have read on multiple forums that the pulsator is notorious for failing and causing pressure loss. I thought that if it was possible, it would be a good idea to mount the pulsator outside of the tank (somewhere on the car) to eliminate the headache of pulling the tank when the pulsator fails. Forgive my ignorance, but don't some cars have the fuel pump located outside the tank?
Alex.07.86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2014 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex.07.86GTSend a Private Message to Alex.07.86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
im not the expert on Fuel Dampeners, but by design if it leaks it will drain in the fuel tank. Now if you add an external one, -it's a little risky!

So i found an external one and it reminds me of the part you put on your washer or boiler to prevent water bangs.

you can buy this one or make one with a T and a nipple & cap.(google fuel dampener)

or Fuel Dampener

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock