Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Anyone ever add a knock sensor to an Iron Duke?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Anyone ever add a knock sensor to an Iron Duke? by edfiero
Started on: 09-29-2014 11:44 AM
Replies: 11 (564 views)
Last post by: fierosound on 10-02-2014 05:51 PM
edfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2014 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroClick Here to Email edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm building a Super Duty 4 engine. I am planning on using a dual TBI out of the 4.3 l blazer and tuning with something like EBL_FLASH. I am concerned about knocking due to the higher compression on this engine. I'd like to add a knock sensor, but not sure where to put it.

I'm curious if anyone has ever added a knock sensor to the Duke, and if so, where did you put it?

Thanks

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2014 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm curious to see how this works for you. It's a pretty noisy valvetrain, especially with a metal cam gear.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post09-29-2014 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You are switching ECMs too, to a later ECM that supports knock?

As for location on the block, it depends on what sensor you'll be using exactly, as the Duke doesn't have a provision for one already. You may need to machine a smooth surface onto the block for the sensor to rest against, and drill a hole to mount it, on the side of the block; for an external knock sensor like the ones used on the Gen IV LSx engines anyway.
Alex.07.86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2014 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex.07.86GTSend a Private Message to Alex.07.86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by edfiero:

I'm building a Super Duty 4 engine. I am planning on using a dual TBI out of the 4.3 l blazer and tuning with something like EBL_FLASH. I am concerned about knocking due to the higher compression on this engine. I'd like to add a knock sensor, but not sure where to put it.

I'm curious if anyone has ever added a knock sensor to the Duke, and if so, where did you put it?

Thanks

I advise not to do this! but you should talk to your machine shop about this! Proper design, fuel & tuning will prevent knock!
sleevePAPA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2014 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sleevePAPASend a Private Message to sleevePAPAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just remember to pick the proper KS and matching knock filter
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2014 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You could probably get the ones for the 4.3 that match your ecm and knock circuit. Depending on year and application they moved, some were in the drain plug, some were on the bellhousing flange, some on the head between two cylinders and on the end of the head.

4.3 locations:

2.2L 4 cyl:

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 09-29-2014).]

edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2014 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroClick Here to Email edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

You are switching ECMs too, to a later ECM that supports knock?

As for location on the block, it depends on what sensor you'll be using exactly, as the Duke doesn't have a provision for one already. You may need to machine a smooth surface onto the block for the sensor to rest against, and drill a hole to mount it, on the side of the block; for an external knock sensor like the ones used on the Gen IV LSx engines anyway.

Yes, I plan on switching to a newer ecm which is more popular with the tuning community and support for the knock sensor.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 280
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2014 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageClick Here to Email fierosoundSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Chev S10 up to 1993 has the 2.5L Duke engine with knock sensor.
The correct knock sensor should fit a drain plug on the exhaust side of the block. (check size)

Maybe this helps http://www.gearhead-efi.com....php?searchid=245775

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 09-30-2014).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2014 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageClick Here to Email fierosoundSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by edfiero:

I'm building a Super Duty 4 engine. I am planning on using a dual TBI out of the 4.3 l blazer

Won't fit under stock decklid.

I looked at this. You'll need an adapter plate for the TBI to 4-bbl manifold and with the injectors "on top" you can't get a low enough air cleaner/bonnet on there. Maybe you have some other idea though...
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2014 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageClick Here to Email fierosoundSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I may have spoken too soon....

REAL Indy had some kind of TBI unit on an Edelbrock intake but could never find any details on it or ECM used.
But I would not have wanted to modify trunk wall to make this setup fit.

KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2014 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

I may have spoken too soon....

REAL Indy had some kind of TBI unit on an Edelbrock intake but could never find any details on it or ECM used.
But I would not have wanted to modify trunk wall to make this setup fit.

While you could mount a TBI, the question is *why* would you want to mount a TBI- I did it because I was going for stealth.

A 2bbl TBI pretty much eliminates that.
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2014 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageClick Here to Email fierosoundSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KurtAKX:

While you could mount a TBI, the question is *why* would you want to mount a TBI- I did it because I was going for stealth.

A 2bbl TBI pretty much eliminates that.

I think Ed would like to see what you did.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock