Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  2.5 Iron duke engine with possible blown head gasket.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
2.5 Iron duke engine with possible blown head gasket. by jeb
Started on: 09-27-2014 04:09 PM
Replies: 7 (875 views)
Last post by: jeb on 09-28-2014 12:56 AM
jeb

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2014 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jebSend a Private Message to jebEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 1988 fiero with a iron duke engine. I think it might have a blown head gasket. I want to know if I should attempt to have it repaired, or should I just replace the engine? Would I save money by doing so?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2014 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum!

Everyone's situation is different. How much work can you do yourself? What's the condition of the engine? How available is a replacement engine?

You say 'possible'.....you will want to confirm that before deciding anything.

Replacing a head gasket on a Duke is not terribly hard.
jeb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2014 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jebSend a Private Message to jebEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just had open heart surgery in july, so I can't do very much if any. Not sure of the availability of another engine.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2014 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Iron duke was common in many cars, so a reputable shop should be able to do a head gasket or an engine swap.....If the rest of the engine is in good shape, the gasket will be cheaper.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2014 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dropping in another Iron Duke from a junkyard would cost a bit more, and you may be inheriting other problems. Head gasket change isn't hard for anyone with some mechanical ability. If your engine has been reasonably reliable up to now, then a head gasket change may be the better solution. Obviously, your health comes first, so you (and your doctor) would have to decide what you can do yourself....but it sounds like you'll be getting a shop (or maybe a friend?) to do the work.

Why do you assume it is the head gasket? Make sure you have the problem properly diagnosed before jumping into anything. A wet/dry compression check should be done to give an overall picture of the condition of the engine.
jeb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2014 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jebSend a Private Message to jebEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The engine was performing quite well . Now, it appears to have water in the oil, emits light blue smoke, and it backfires when starting. However, I can find no water leak around the head.
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2014 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Head gaskets going on a 2.5 is common. I had one go. Lots of white smoke. I did the head gasket at home. The head is a bit heavy, so you would want to have some one lift if off for you. I did not have a leak on the outside at all. But when I pulled the head, wow was the gasket bad and the top of one piston was all shinny and clean looking. I don't know if I would be driving the car with a blown head gasket.
jeb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2014 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jebSend a Private Message to jebEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am no longer driving the vehicle.Thanls for all of the information. I think I will attempt to have the gasket replaced.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock