|Originally posted by Tweeder:|
Thanks for that ogre. Mines kinda rusty inside, that and I have tried two different receptacles and it's the same with both on certain plug ins. I think it's that the receptacle is too short for newer plugs.
Many plugs are the problem... Too weak spring to hold into sockets is very common. Sides much hold w/ enough force so center holds. Many can/will back off from vibration etc. Many can't hold at all.
Small amount of rust can be removed. Sockets used to light cigarettes can rust out because ash holds moisture and repeated heat cycles.
Many aftermarket addon sockets are junk too. I've tried many over the years. Many are made very cheap and even good plugs can have problems keeping contact.
Make sure power is switched so USB sockets and things plug into socket/usb can't drain the battery.
Depending USB socket type... devices can draw 0.5 - 2+ amps and can drain a battery if left on over time and car isn't used often. (This is on top of ECM and Radio standby power.)