Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Odometer and Trip not working! but Speedo and Cruise does...?? 87GT 5 speed.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Odometer and Trip not working! but Speedo and Cruise does...?? 87GT 5 speed. by jasonn674
Started on: 09-25-2014 06:22 PM
Replies: 2 (203 views)
Last post by: jasonn674 on 09-30-2014 04:27 PM
jasonn674

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2014 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jasonn674Send a Private Message to jasonn674Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi all!

I'm super excited about this barn find I just bought for a decent deal!
It's an 1987 Fiero GT / 5 speed with 78K. The car was sitting for about 8 years, it didn't run because the fuel pump died from sitting so long I'm assuming. I replaced the fuel pump and it started right up! yay! It's pretty clean except for this horrible mice infestation it had...but that's another story.. lots of clean up but getting much better..

So the current issue is the odometer and trip odometer are both not working?
Both the Speedo and cruise control do work great.

When I got the car the trip odo was at 120.00 miles which I thought was some what odd to be so exact? I have since zeroed it however.

I can't seem to figure this one out... I've pressed the trip button a bunch of times while drive to no avail. I have noticed that the odometer has moved a little while driving..maybe a tenth here and there.

I've taken the gauge cluster out and checked out the odometer to see if I could find anything obvious. I've also cleaned the connector to the board and spun the odometer motor itself for a couple miles worth to see if the meter it self was just jammed or something. I've checked the gears, they look fine too.

PLEASEEEEEE any thoughts to what could be the issue? Is my board shot? Is the motor shot?

My gas gauge is also pinned past full so I can't tell when i'm empty or how many miles i've gone....
(I'll have to pull the tank AGAIN to see what's up with the float ground or something..when i swapped the pump the float looked ok and so did the ground.. idk about that one either..)

Thanks in advance for any help and guidance on this!
Jason

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jasonn674

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2014 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jasonn674Send a Private Message to jasonn674Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmmmm... Wondering if it's the buffered output signal from the speedo not working? Because as I understand it, the VSS signal is buffered going to the Speedo and THEN it's split ..being sent from the speedo to the Odometer(s). Is that correct? If so how do I fix that issue? New speedo or board?

Anyone have a working board? lol
jasonn674

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2014 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jasonn674Send a Private Message to jasonn674Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm interesting.. so my odometer kinda works when driving over 60-65mph..it will move some but doesn't always work. The trip odometer is still not working at all.

Anyone have any thoughts on this odometer/trip situation?

*bump..

*sigh..

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock