Rough shifting by Jatwaa21
Started on: 09-25-2014 05:30 PM
Replies: 8 (453 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 06-15-2023 07:05 PM
Jatwaa21

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2014 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jatwaa21Send a Private Message to Jatwaa21Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 87 4cyl Duke auto which for the most part runs well. Problem is the shifting

1. When it shifting, it is a hard shift from 1st to 2nd
2. 2nd to 3rd is smoother than 1st to 2nd
3. Higher RPMs and the shift is smoother
4. When I open the throttle on her, starts to take higher RPMs before the shift takes place for 1st to 2nd
5. After the open throttle sometimes the 2nd to 3rd gear shift will no longer happen, but is fine after a restart

I already changed the filter and fluid and topped her off properly. Been considering TransTune (from the Seafoam boys) but am thinking it would not affect it. Is there a particular sensor or component I am missing?

------------------
'87 Pontiac Fiero - 2.5L Automatic

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2014 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump to the top,for ya...
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2014 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dirt in Governor can cause late/no up shift. Gov'er gear on top drives VSS.

Maybe could carefully fix by DIY...
If you stretch a spring then you need a trans shop.
if you use RTV... Boogers can cause big problems inside the trans.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Jatwaa21

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2014 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jatwaa21Send a Private Message to Jatwaa21Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Terribly my weakest point is transmissions. I am tempted to just pay for the rebuild at this point...Maybe there is a Virginia location that can do the transmission swap to the 4 gear auto.

I honestly would rather pay for that than risk it myself. I just got her back on the road after a year down due to braking issues.

------------------
'87 Pontiac Fiero - 2.5L Automatic

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post09-26-2014 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you have the space available to do the work, and want to do the swap to the 440t4/4t60 trans instead of a rebuild, I'd suggest doing it yourself; as it's cheaper, and not terribly hard to do once you have all the necessary parts.

Rebuilding the trans isn't terribly hard to do either, but you do need to be careful about contaminants.

From your description it sounds like it will need rebuilt. It will probably cost more to rebuild than to replace, sadly, especially if you drive the car to a shop and have them remove/install the trans.

If you can pick up a 4t60 somewhere local for cheap, and it's known to be good and not need a rebuild, I'd suggest just going that route. Better fuel economy is always a win.
Jatwaa21

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2014 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jatwaa21Send a Private Message to Jatwaa21Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Brought a house and still no garage (was converted but too good a deal) That conversion was on my list for quite some time honestly
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post09-26-2014 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Eh. I have a garage, and don't have enough room in it to get things done for my swap. :-/

I've been looking at renting a warehouse, but finding a small one, in the area I want it in, and at a low enough rate, is pretty difficult. :-/
DARKLOTUS98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2023 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DARKLOTUS98Send a Private Message to DARKLOTUS98Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I also need assistance with this mine seems to act like maybe slipping into neutral? Only at a slow pace and on the freeway it shifts ok til after about 30 miles then it starts to slip
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2023 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DARKLOTUS98:

I also need assistance with this mine seems to act like maybe slipping into neutral? Only at a slow pace and on the freeway it shifts ok til after about 30 miles then it starts to slip.

Quite a resurrection of a nine year old thread!

Have you done the basics yet... checked the transmission fluid level while hot and running?

When's the last time the transmission filter was changed?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock