Remove dummy distributor from 3.4 PR by Gambit
Started on: 09-25-2014 10:27 AM
Replies: 10 (480 views)
Last post by: Gambit on 09-27-2014 07:00 AM
Gambit

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2014 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GambitSend a Private Message to GambitEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi guys, first off, i checked the internet and PFF but no luck.

I am in the proces of removing the original camshaft to put a crane 272-2 cam in. Problem, the cam WON'T come out. It seems it gets stuck about 1,5 inches along the shaft. Probably that dummy distributor is in the way but it only lifts about 0.1 inch. Oil pump removed. There is a hex bolt in the side off the block where the flywheel is located. Do i need to remove this? The only thing on or in the block is the crankshaft and pistons. Other than that its stripped down. I relocated the starter already with RD jig set so this is the final thing before i can build it back up. Thanks for the help guys
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Ken_86gt

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2014 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ken_86gtSend a Private Message to Ken_86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I cant say for sure- but if there was a normal distributor there it would have to be removed. There is a gear on a distributor that is driven from the camshaft. If the gear is present it certanly would prevent the camshaft from being removed.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2014 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gambit:

Probably that dummy distributor is in the way but it only lifts about 0.1 inch.

Keep working on it; probably the O-ring on it is hardened with age and making it difficult to remove. Unlike the "regular" version with a distributor, the dummy distributor is tough to get a good grip on without having something like Channellocks to grab it with.
Ken_86gt

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2014 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ken_86gtSend a Private Message to Ken_86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
google 3.4 oil pump drive. You have to remove this before the camshaft can be removed. It should be the same as a distributor- remove the hold down and lift it out.
Gambit

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2014 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GambitSend a Private Message to GambitEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man, that thing just wont budge. Can i push it up thru the oilpump shaft iron staff thing?
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2014 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On page 1, look at items 90, 91, and 92. Be sure the hold down and bolt are removed. If the pump drive will raise just a little, you should be able to get a flat pry bar into the hold down slot and lift it up. Try some penetrating solvent around the base of the pump drive and be sure the cam is sitting in it's proper location, front to rear.
http://www.v6f-body.com/showthread.php?t=692
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2014 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man, that thing just wont budge. Can i push it up thru the oilpump shaft iron staff thing? YES
Gambit

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2014 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GambitSend a Private Message to GambitEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys. Ofcourse the hold down is removed and lubricated the hell out of it. A pry bar doesn't work at al. The gap is to small to but a big pry bar under the lid. So, tommorow i'll try getting it out from underneath were the oil shaft iron thing goes. Hopefully i can hit it a few times. Fingers crossed
NW-Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2014 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NW-FieroSend a Private Message to NW-FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Make sure the Cam Shaft is not binding on the "oil pump drive gear/Distributor thingly" should be able to twist the plug to loosen the "O' ring and should just pull out. You need to pull the flywheel to get to the Cam Cover.

Do you have an auto or manual Trans....... What was on the 3.4 ??? Make sure the brass sleeve inside the crank pilot hole does not create a problem when attaching the Transmission.

------------------
Mark
' 85 2m6 3.4PR
In the Great Northwest!

Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2014 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You say it gets stuck 1 to 5 inches along the shaft.
By then it should be free of the dummy distributor. My hunch is once the cam journal slides out of the camshaft bearings it will drop down "out of alignment" and now the cam lobes are preventing further movement. Removing a cam is a meticulous operation. Think of it as an obstacle course. Each cam lobe and each cam journal being an obstacle. The easiest part is the first few inches.

Good luck,

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

Gambit

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2014 07:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GambitSend a Private Message to GambitEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi guys, thanks for all your input, cam is out. It was blocked by the dummy distributor. I got it out by putting the oil shaft back in from under the block and with a little tap it fell right out so hopefully this will help someone. Again thanks.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock