Stumble and die 2-3k rpms +video by fierorrari
Started on: 09-24-2014 09:01 PM
Replies: 13 (199 views)
Last post by: countach711 on 11-07-2014 10:33 PM
fierorrari

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2014 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierorrariSend a Private Message to fierorrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1985 Fiero GT auto. I've owned and been driving this car daily for about a month. It has been stumbling under acceleration usually between 2 and 3k rpms. When the engine stumbles it feels like almost a total loss of engine power. A couple hours ago I took her out to capture it on video for you guys to better help me, during the video it actually cuts out and dies. This is the first time it has died, still turns over like a champ but won't fire up. So I was originally going to ask what my old problem was but now there is a new problem it seems, maybe I can fix both in one go. what do you guys think? I don't have immediate access to it as I left it in a neighborhood a few miles away. I'm hoping to be able to change out a part where it sits and drive it home.

http://youtu.be/y-M8l5YH5Dg
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jpeeler

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2014 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jpeelerSend a Private Message to jpeelerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fuel filter maybe? Or ignition component related coil, icm.

[This message has been edited by jpeeler (edited 09-24-2014).]

fierorrari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2014 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierorrariSend a Private Message to fierorrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I get to work on it tomorrow with a buddy I'm going to check for spark at plugs, and see if the fuel line feeding to engine sends any fuel. If anyone could tell me where that line is I would appreciate it. Troubleshooting via Haynes manual points to fuel system.
hiwil88formula

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2014 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hiwil88formulaSend a Private Message to hiwil88formulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like you have a weak fuel pump. Check the pressure. To check the pressure there is a schrader valve on theright side of the fuel rail. Next to the map sensor. You can rent a gauge from most parts stores. The fuel pressure should be around 42psi with key on engine off and 38-42psi with the engine running. you do not have to remove the upper intake to get to the valve but it might be easier to remove the brake booster line.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2014 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No check engine light?
fierorrari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2014 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierorrariSend a Private Message to fierorrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hiwil88formula:

Sounds like you have a weak fuel pump. Check the pressure. To check the pressure there is a schrader valve on theright side of the fuel rail. Next to the map sensor. You can rent a gauge from most parts stores. The fuel pressure should be around 42psi with key on engine off and 38-42psi with the engine running. you do not have to remove the upper intake to get to the valve but it might be easier to remove the brake booster line.

Thanks, I'll try this when I get off work. And no CEL.

fierorrari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2014 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierorrariSend a Private Message to fierorrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierorrari

9 posts
Member since Sep 2014
Depressed shrader valve after a few cranks and fuel shot out a good foot, so I believe fuel pressure is fine. Didn't have time to put a gauge on it or test for spark before the rain hit.
hiwil88formula

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2014 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hiwil88formulaSend a Private Message to hiwil88formulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You need to check it with a gauge hooked up. You are idleing fine but not under load.
Alex.07.86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2014 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex.07.86GTSend a Private Message to Alex.07.86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierorrari:

Depressed shrader valve after a few cranks and fuel shot out a good foot, so I believe fuel pressure is fine. Didn't have time to put a gauge on it or test for spark before the rain hit.

now the car wont start?? v6?
so you have fuel even though we dont know the pressure.
check spark at the coil. do u have a nice big spark?
did u check the oil level??
when u crank the engine does the tach move?
if it were me, I would go out there with starting fluid, a distributor module with thermal paste, a coil. try them out one at a time in order. check all connectors first.

[This message has been edited by Alex.07.86GT (edited 09-26-2014).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2014 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierorrari:

Depressed shrader valve after a few cranks and fuel shot out a good foot, so I believe fuel pressure is fine.

I think you found the problem! The fuel should hit the decklid.....about 3 feet.
fierorrari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2014 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierorrariSend a Private Message to fierorrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know my quick test probably wasn't sufficient but I was short on time, if the sun stays out I'll have plenty of time to go back with the proper tools and try what you all have suggested. I appreciate the help.

Edit: v6, I've checked all connectors I can find. Oil level is fine.

[This message has been edited by fierorrari (edited 09-26-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
marc-alan

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2014 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for marc-alanSend a Private Message to marc-alanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
a bad coil could cause the stumbling...and when it goes the no start
fierorrari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2014 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierorrariSend a Private Message to fierorrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
She's fixed! I replaced the old rusty distributor with a new one and still wouldn't start even though I had spark. Did some fooling around trying to fix timing, rotated the distributor rotor 180 degrees and voila! We have immediate ignition. I didn't take it for a test drive since it's currently at pepboys and I went to work on it after they closed so I could save several hundred bucks. I'll post back Wednesday with results. Thank you guys for the advice.
countach711

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2014 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for countach711Click Here to visit countach711's HomePageSend a Private Message to countach711Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So are you saying the original distributor was in there 180 backwards, or when you put in the new one you did it yourself? In other words, was it the new distributor that solved the problem or because the distributor was 180 degrees off. I'm assuming it was the placement because you probably put the new one in exactly the way the old one came out. I have a similar issue so I may be looking at this as a possible solution to my problem. Thanks, John

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock