350 sbc options for Archie kit? by grkboy707
Started on: 09-24-2014 07:36 PM
Replies: 7 (303 views)
Last post by: Will on 09-26-2014 02:51 PM
grkboy707

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2014 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey all, finally ordered my Archie swap kit, and now its time to hunt down an engine. Unfortunately, the cheap, plentiful, powerful 5.3L Vortec I was hoping for is more like an LS block, requiring the LS kit. So my second thought is an L98 (from an early model C4 Corvette, or Trans Am or the like). Problem is, theyre none too powerful. I was hoping for 300-350 ponies or so. I was looking into a 383 L98? Has anybody done that or built up an L98, or simply found a nice setup? I was thinking of buying a cheap 350 block, some decent heads, and a intake/fuel rail/injector combo i found on CL. Any thoughts or recommendations?
Thanks!
Greg
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2014 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2014 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by grkboy707:

Hey all, finally ordered my Archie swap kit, and now its time to hunt down an engine. Unfortunately, the cheap, plentiful, powerful 5.3L Vortec I was hoping for is more like an LS block, requiring the LS kit. So my second thought is an L98 (from an early model C4 Corvette, or Trans Am or the like). Problem is, theyre none too powerful. I was hoping for 300-350 ponies or so. I was looking into a 383 L98? Has anybody done that or built up an L98, or simply found a nice setup? I was thinking of buying a cheap 350 block, some decent heads, and a intake/fuel rail/injector combo i found on CL. Any thoughts or recommendations?
Thanks!
Greg

You don't need a 383 to get 300-350hp. Just need the right parts on the 350. My L98 TPI puts 304hp/366tq to the wheels. I have a good intake, nice heads and mild cam and all works fine.
grkboy707

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2014 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well thats cool. Apparently my buddy has a program that lets you input part numbers, specifications or anything and will give you an approximate dyno, so no doubt I'll be playing with that.

And that crate engine that was for sale seemed like a good deal, but it was already sold.
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post09-24-2014 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you want a Vortec engine, you can get one of the L31 engines which was used between 1996-2002 in trucks and vans. But depending on the one you get, it could be as low as 255 HP. Or you can buy the "Ramjet 350" crate engine, which is the same as the L31.
TONY_C

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2014 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Archie sells two different SBC kits, one for the late model (1986 and up) one piece real main seal and another for the older blocks which had two piece real seals. The kit you have will steer you to the engines you can use.
grkboy707

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2014 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The kits themselves are the same, it's just the flywheel that's different, and I opted for the 86+ one piece style

Originally posted by TONY_C:

Archie sells two different SBC kits, one for the late model (1986 and up) one piece real main seal and another for the older blocks which had two piece real seals. The kit you have will steer you to the engines you can use.

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2014 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Get a factory roller cam 350 block and go to town... There are no remaining mysteries in building small block Chevies.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock