3800sc swap clutch? by BenFiero
Started on: 09-23-2014 11:57 PM
Replies: 18 (1335 views)
Last post by: mitchjl22 on 10-16-2014 01:56 PM
BenFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2014 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BenFieroSend a Private Message to BenFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm planning on doing an L67 swap in my 87 GT, but don't know what to do for a clutch. I am using a Fiero 5-speed trans with the 3800 and have a flywheel from a same-year Camaro that I will have balanced for the 3800, but don't know where to find a swap clutch for this car. I need suggestions from people that have done this swap before.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2014 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BenFiero:

I'm planning on doing an L67 swap in my 87 GT, but don't know what to do for a clutch. I am using a Fiero 5-speed trans with the 3800 and have a flywheel from a same-year Camaro that I will have balanced for the 3800, but don't know where to find a swap clutch for this car. I need suggestions from people that have done this swap before.

Did u have the flywheel cut down also? Go with SPEC 3 or SPEC 3+.....
Larryinkc

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2014 06:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the Spec 3+ and their aluminum flywheel, Series 3 SC with a Getrag 5 speed.

Haven't driven it much but so far it has very smooth engagement, no chatter.

hdryder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2014 07:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hdryderSend a Private Message to hdryderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Larryinkc:

Spec 3+ (their aluminum flywheel)

I found it.

GM Late 3800/supercharged to Fiero 5sp, Aluminum Flywheeel - part number: SC94AC $399.00

http://www.specclutch.com/conversion_combos/view/9

[This message has been edited by hdryder (edited 09-24-2014).]

AutoMarshal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2014 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AutoMarshalClick Here to visit AutoMarshal's HomePageSend a Private Message to AutoMarshalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Spec 3+ buy off amazon.com part#SC883F

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...2/HTML/000156-4.html
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2014 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree, the Spec 3+ is a great clutch for the 3800sc.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2014 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wouldn't worry about the clutch as much as I would worry about using a light duty transmission specified for a 140HP engine with an engine that will give you 240-260HP. Not to be rude but everyone that I know of that tried to use a more powerful engine has either had problems or has blown apart the Getrag tranny. One guy that I know with a 3800SC, blew the Getrag case to pieces on an all out launch. IMO, the 3800SC works best with the heavy duty 4T65eHD automatic.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2014 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, but with the F23 you get to keep you Man Pedal!
Lou and Blue

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2014 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought the spec 3 for my swap, ill be doing the actual swap next spring. In doing some research since I bought it I found concerns about chatter while shifting off the line, but I already bought it so I guess I'm stuck with it. I should have went for the 3+ which has a better reputation for being smoother and still taking the torque of the 3800sc.

------------------
===Always trying to find time to work on cars===
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
Stock V6---Stock everything. Trying to keep it 'mostly' that way. But I just got the 3800sc to swap into it!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Boo" <= '81 Delorean DMC-12
VIN #5835
"Don't hate ... Carburate!"
Stock PRV engine
Robertson Equipped
Neiland/Delman Engineered
Peugot 604 Intake manifold
Exhaust headers
Anti-3rd brake light

Hawaiian Brian

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2014 01:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Hawaiian BrianSend a Private Message to Hawaiian BrianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What car is the swap clutch from? Fiero? Camaro? Does it need to be modified to fit in the Getrag?

B
mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2014 01:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IF YOU USE SPEC DO NOT USE THE SUPPLIED TOB!!!! GET A QUALITY TOB

-Mitch
PFF
System Bot
Hawaiian Brian

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2014 04:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Hawaiian BrianSend a Private Message to Hawaiian BrianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So is the Beretta Spec clutch the same as the one needed for teh 3800sc swap ? http://www.amazon.com/URSC8...s=beretta+spec+sc883
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2014 06:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would go with an F23 trans if you want to go manual. It is not much more work, and you can use the stock axles from your fiero with it.
troy
Lou and Blue

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2014 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am planning on using my Muncie 4 speed with the 3800sc. If the spec TOB is not good can anyone link me to a better TOB to use with it?
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2014 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou and Blue:

I am planning on using my Muncie 4 speed with the 3800sc. If the spec TOB is not good can anyone link me to a better TOB to use with it?

Just a GM factory TOB should be sufficient.

-Mitch
BenFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2014 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BenFieroSend a Private Message to BenFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks for the suggestions, I'll probably go with the spec 3+, but what TOB should I use (it was mentioned not to use the supplied bearing)? I have not had the flywheel machined yet, but plan on having it cut and balanced at a local machine shop that I've gone through before. Also, the reason I'm using my Fiero 5 speed is basically because I already have the trans and axles for it, I don't plan to use it as a drag car or anything, just daily driving, so hopefully it will be okay. If I do end up destroying it, I will most likely get an F23, but my budget is limited at the moment.
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2014 03:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
its been a long time since my last post, but I'll just leave this here.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/129057.html
2002z28ssconv

Feedback score:    (27)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2014 06:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2002z28ssconvClick Here to visit 2002z28ssconv's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2002z28ssconvEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry for the slight hijack, but it is the same conversation so why have 2 threads?

Are the splines on a 3800 Camaro's clutch disk different than the Fiero? I need to ditch the Spec3 I have been using. My wife wants her Fiero back and I want my Camaro back. She doesn't like how hard the Spec3 clutch is. So the deal was made that if I replace the clutch with something that has more of a stock feel, she'll drive the Fiero. As a bonus, I get to build an ALL OUT whiz bang faster than stink Fiero with no creature comforts. So I was wondering if a stock 3800 Camaro pressure plate would work with the Fiero disk. She won't be thrashing it and the L67 is stock. So slippage shouldn't be a problem. I just need a soft pedal with components that fit and work.

I have found the Spec3 to grab fine and not slip but it chatters like crazy and it's an on/off switch. I was told that this is because of the lack of springs in the clutch hub. It's a solid hub.

As for using the Getrag, just don't dump the clutch at WOT. Shock load will kill it behind the torque of a 3800SC. Shift easy and then roll into the throttle. If you plan on abuse, an auto or an F23/F40 are recommended.
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2014 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well my recommendation for a clutch that isn't as aggressive would be the Spec 3+ it isnt a pucked clutch like the stage 3 and has more of a stock feel. Also the spec stage 1 would probably hold more than a stock fiero clutch and hold up a bit better.

-Mitch

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock