Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Steering column swap questions

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version


next newest topic | next oldest topic
Steering column swap questions by starlightcoupe
Started on: 09-23-2014 11:43 AM
Replies: 4 (162 views)
Last post by: starlightcoupe on 09-24-2014 10:30 AM
starlightcoupe
Member
Posts: 1767
From: Third World Country, OR
Registered: Oct 2009


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2014 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for starlightcoupeSend a Private Message to starlightcoupeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pretty sure I sold my Fiero but my bad luck came back to bite me. The ignition switch (not the key lock) on the old steering column needed adjusting and while I had the column apart, I checked the bearing and race and it is badly worn. I have a very good replacement column but I am not sure how to tell the difference between a column meant for stick shift and an automatic. The only difference I can see between the old and new switch is the lockout safety switch that allows you to start the engine in Park and Neutral.

My questions are these: can I simply attach the safety switch (or pushrod) to the new switch? They look identical to me.

Question two: How would I tell the difference between an auto and a manual column?

A simple swap out looks easy. I've done this kind of thing a few times in the past on other GM vehicles but getting under the dash is a killer for me at my old age and I want to minimize the time I spend lying on the floor. I intend to remove the driver's side seat to make it easier.

I'd appreciate any tips and answers to my questions.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
crashmydaytona
Member
Posts: 567
From: south dakota
Registered: Apr 2013


Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2014 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashmydaytonaSend a Private Message to crashmydaytonaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A manual column will have the lever you press to turn the key all the way off, the automatic will not. If you are putting a manual column in an auto car you need to swap the whole switch that has the safety cable attached to it. The switch on the manual looks identical but its not. 4 bolts hold the column in and 1 pinch bolt it is very easy to do I don't think pulling the seat would be necessary it will only take about 15 minutes.
IP: Logged
starlightcoupe
Member
Posts: 1767
From: Third World Country, OR
Registered: Oct 2009


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2014 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for starlightcoupeSend a Private Message to starlightcoupeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by crashmydaytona:

A manual column will have the lever you press to turn the key all the way off, the automatic will not. If you are putting a manual column in an auto car you need to swap the whole switch that has the safety cable attached to it. The switch on the manual looks identical but its not. 4 bolts hold the column in and 1 pinch bolt it is very easy to do I don't think pulling the seat would be necessary it will only take about 15 minutes.


Thanks for your reply. I have the column almost switched out--been working on it this morning. The replacement column is definitely for an automatic and I will change out the ignition/safety switch per your instructions. Thanks.

I took out the seat because of medical problems that include wearing a back brace from my spinal fusion surgery.

Thanks again. I really appreciate it.
IP: Logged
crashmydaytona
Member
Posts: 567
From: south dakota
Registered: Apr 2013


Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2014 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashmydaytonaSend a Private Message to crashmydaytonaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by starlightcoupe:


Thanks for your reply. I have the column almost switched out--been working on it this morning. The replacement column is definitely for an automatic and I will change out the ignition/safety switch per your instructions. Thanks.

I took out the seat because of medical problems that include wearing a back brace from my spinal fusion surgery.

Thanks again. I really appreciate it.


Ouch sounds like you should of had a buddy doing it for you. I just changed my manual column to an auto and those were the only differences I noticed. Hope all went well for you.

IP: Logged
starlightcoupe
Member
Posts: 1767
From: Third World Country, OR
Registered: Oct 2009


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2014 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for starlightcoupeSend a Private Message to starlightcoupeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by crashmydaytona:


Ouch sounds like you should of had a buddy doing it for you. I just changed my manual column to an auto and those were the only differences I noticed. Hope all went well for you.


Thanks for your help. I did change out the ignition and safety switches and it is fine.

I have the column hooked up and discovered everything works except the front directional signal. Rear works fine including the emergency flasher. Looking at the wiring, the replacement column has a slightly different plug from the old one. It has fewer wires. I am in a time crunch as well as a physical crunch (and mental crunch, probably ) and have little time to troubleshoot the wiring. I have a lot of electrical and electronics experience but time isn't on my side. The new owner wants the car this week and I can't sell it to him in good conscience with turn signals that don't work properly. I did ground everything to ensure power is there. Any ideas??? Thanks in advance.
IP: Logged

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay



Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock