wouldn't start won't start. 84 duke by BADCHICKENSOUP
Started on: 09-22-2014 12:52 PM
Replies: 10 (165 views)
Last post by: Csjag on 09-23-2014 09:16 AM
BADCHICKENSOUP

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2014 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BADCHICKENSOUPSend a Private Message to BADCHICKENSOUPEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I bought an 84 duke last week. It started fine but had so trouble restarting once warm. Sometimes it wouldn't start for 20 or 30 minutes. Now it won't start at all. Replaced icm and checked the pickup coil. The cold had 790 ohms so it should be fine. Any other ideas? Maybe the coil?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2014 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does the tach rise to 200 RPM during cranking and then fall back to zero when you release the key back to ON?

Does the fuel pump run when you first turn the key to on?

Does it fire on starting fluid?

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 09-22-2014).]

Alex.07.86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2014 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex.07.86GTSend a Private Message to Alex.07.86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BADCHICKENSOUP:

So I bought an 84 duke last week. It started fine but had so trouble restarting once warm. Sometimes it wouldn't start for 20 or 30 minutes. Now it won't start at all. Replaced icm and checked the pickup coil. The cold had 790 ohms so it should be fine. Any other ideas? Maybe the coil?

So you have crank but no start??

Do you have spark at the coil?

What is your fuel pressure?

Is there enough oil in the engine? Gas in the tank?

BADCHICKENSOUP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2014 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BADCHICKENSOUPSend a Private Message to BADCHICKENSOUPEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No spark from the in line tester. The fuel pump does run the first time I turn the key. Putting destructor back in now to test it
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2014 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Putting destructor back in now to test it

Clear the area!

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2014 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Make sure you have +12v on the pink wire to the coil/ICM with the key on.

How to Test the GM Distributor
Mounted Ignition Module

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 09-22-2014).]

BADCHICKENSOUP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2014 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BADCHICKENSOUPSend a Private Message to BADCHICKENSOUPEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is getting 12v to the pink wire with the key on. It still seems to not be getting spark. The tach is all messed up so i can not tell what it is reving at. once you start it it says 3k rpm on idle and i shift when it hits my volt meter pin!
BADCHICKENSOUP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2014 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BADCHICKENSOUPSend a Private Message to BADCHICKENSOUPEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BADCHICKENSOUP

5 posts
Member since Sep 2014

Originally posted by Alex.07.86GT:

So you have crank but no start??

Do you have spark at the coil?

What is your fuel pressure?

Is there enough oil in the engine? Gas in the tank?

How should I test spark coming out of the coil.
Alex.07.86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2014 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex.07.86GTSend a Private Message to Alex.07.86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

How should I test spark coming out of the coil.

take the coil wire out of the distributor cap and connect it to an In-Line Ignition Spark Tester tool or screwdriver touching ground. hav a helper crank engine and look for a spark.

** you have to check for loose or bad connections to the icm / distributor.

read this thread sounds like simliar problem. Stops, no starts

[This message has been edited by Alex.07.86GT (edited 09-22-2014).]

BADCHICKENSOUP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2014 07:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BADCHICKENSOUPSend a Private Message to BADCHICKENSOUPEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes it does seem like the stops, no starts. I read all three pages expecting to find my answer and he seems to be in my boat. I pulled my dizzy and checked every connection with a meter. I can not make them fail even while moving the wires. I bought an ignition coil but have not put it on. just dont know if that will fix it.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2014 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is it possible that the distributor is installed out of synch or that the plug wires are out of order? Do you see the injector squirting fuel while you crank over the engine?
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock