Installation of TFS door panels with speakers by NetCam
Started on: 09-21-2014 03:32 PM
Replies: 26 (1269 views)
Last post by: JohnWPB on 10-10-2014 12:30 AM
NetCam

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2014 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got my panels painted today using Dupl-Color Vinyl and Fabric 'coating'. I used this on my driver's side armrest a couple of years ago, and the colour was almost a perfect match, and it just started to wear off recently. I test fitted the speakers (Infinity 6032i) and it looks like I have to get them about 1/4" to 1/2" up away from the door. The best way I can think of doing this is to build a ring spacer with an ID of 5.5" and OD of 7", mount that to the door panels and then mount the speaker to the ring. Any suggestions on how to go about doing this and the best material/cutting method to use?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2014 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unbelievable. Another one of their expensive products that doesn't fit without dicking around with it. No quality control whatsoever. Your best bet is to get a 2x2 sheet of 1/2" MDF from a Home Depot or Lowes and simply use a jigsaw to cut a spacer ring.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 09-21-2014).]

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post09-21-2014 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:
Unbelievable. Another one of their expensive products that doesn't fit without dicking around with it. No quality control whatsoever.

Eh? It's not like every pair of 6.5" speakers on the market has the exact same mounting depth. The shallow mount version of the speaker probably fits fine. There's only so much room to have door panel speaker pods without modifying the door itself, or relocating the emergency brake handle to somewhere that the door can't interfere with. Frankly, I'm surprised they even managed to make a factory replacement door panel that fits a 6.5" speaker, and doesn't interfere with the e-brake handle or your feet. It's not like the Fiero is overflowing with available room to put things.
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2014 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you can get plastic spacers or MDF spacers from your local audio shop or buy a sheet of wood and cut yourself , be cheaper to just buy the plastic spacers

------------------

87GTseries 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar/ 4t80e
86GT 3800 n/a---sold
Northstar Rebuild

NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2014 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Actually these are the shallow mount version, although as far as I know there isn't any industry standard for what qualifies as 'shallow'. I agree that there's not a lot of room to work with, so I'm just going to make it work with what I've got.

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2014 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NetCam:

Actually these are the shallow mount version, although as far as I know there isn't any industry standard for what qualifies as 'shallow'.

Thats scary. I'll hate to see when someone decides to put a true 6.5" subwoofer in the car.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 09-21-2014).]

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post09-21-2014 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thats scary. I'll hate to see when someone decides to put a true 6.5" subwoofer in the car.

I wouldn't try to mount "true" subwoofers in any door panels. Doors don't provide the necessary sealing, or stability, for proper subwoofers. But I had a JL 6w0 (proper 6.5" subwoofer) mounted under the dash in my car, in the factory sub location. Worked great.
donuteater306

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2014 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My experience with Infinity speakers is great sound, but they do require more depth than most others, including their shallow mounts. Search Metra speaker adapter on Amazon. See if anything they have will help.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref...metra+speaker+spacer
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2014 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by donuteater306:

My experience with Infinity speakers is great sound, but they do require more depth than most others, including their shallow mounts. Search Metra speaker adapter on Amazon. See if anything they have will help.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref...metra+speaker+spacer

Thanks! Looks they have what I need, and pretty cheap too

[This message has been edited by NetCam (edited 09-25-2014).]

FieroStore

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2014 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroStoreClick Here to visit FieroStore's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroStoreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
NetCam: Before you buy spacers, please allow us to help. While we have never used that particular speaker, Crutchfield.com lists the Infinity 6032i with a 2" mounting depth. Depending on the size of the magnet, they should fit without major mods. If they use a very large magnet, then you may have to use a spacer. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but I'm wondering if you shot the picture showing the gap on a flat surface (not mounted on the door). When mounted on the door, that gap may go away. Here are some pictures showing the allowable measurements, our test speaker with a 2.1" mounting depth and the speakers we ultimately chose to sell. Justin performed these installations over many months of testing, so if you would like further guidance or other suggestions before you purchase spacers, please give him a call at 860-645-1837. He will be happy to help.

If IMSA GT believes that we do not test appropriately or feels we have no quality control, then he should actually install a set before making inaccurate and counterproductive comments that do nothing for the person who started this thread.
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2014 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The pictures were taken with the panel sitting on a door - as in a household door lying on the ground - as I was assuming it would sit on the door of the car pretty much the same. I'll go out and measure the actual depth of the speaker and post that in a bit. I was also worried about the magnet actually being against the door, I wanted to have at least 1/4" gap there. Thanks for the info, I'll definitely let you know how things go.

Edit to add pictures. Just a bit over 2" deep overall, but of course not quite there at the sides. The magnets are pretty wide in relation to the overall diameter of the speakers though.

[This message has been edited by NetCam (edited 09-26-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2014 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroStore:

If IMSA GT believes that we do not test appropriately or feels we have no quality control, then he should actually install a set before making inaccurate and counterproductive comments that do nothing for the person who started this thread.

Maybe ask him how well the door panels he makes with speaker mounts fit, or what they even look like.

Kevin
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2014 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by NetCam (edited 09-27-2014).]

NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2014 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So far so good. Speaker isn't wired up yet, but it is hooked up inside the door. Next job is to tap into the rear speaker wires. Haven't decided if I'm going to leave the seat speakers hooked up or not, I can barely hear them because they're muffled by the seat covers.

Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2014 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would be concerned about not having grills. Seems to be in a bad spot for an accidental foot or knee.

Kevin
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2014 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lambo nut:

I would be concerned about not having grills. Seems to be in a bad spot for an accidental foot or knee.

Kevin

Trust me, I'm concerned.... I will be putting grills on them really soon, hopefully tomorrow.
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2014 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What did you end up using for spacers?
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2014 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Went to a local place and picked up some connectors and a couple of plastic 'universal' spacers. There were three tabs plus 4 extensions of the mount holes that I had to cut off to make them fit (basically had to make the OD of the ring round), but they did the trick nicely. I probably could have done without the spacers, but when I test fitted them on the door the magnet was just a bit too close to the door for comfort.

qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2014 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I picked up a set of these when they first came out. Did you notice that one side has more "grain" then the other. When I look at mine side by side, one side has much more grain and is shinny, the other is dull and less grain. Just want to see if others had the same issue.

Thanks

Rob
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2014 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Both of mine looked pretty much the same. I wonder if they did these in batches and you somehow got a left and a right that came from different ones. If you weren't so far away I'd offer up my driver's side panel to you. My passenger side one was lost in the fire this morning, never got the other one installed.

[This message has been edited by NetCam (edited 09-28-2014).]

nosaint

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2014 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosaintSend a Private Message to nosaintEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those look great! Wish it wasnt 300 to ship to Canada....
PFF
System Bot
donuteater306

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2014 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Lost in a fire"? Oh man, I'm sorry.
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2014 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Unbelievable. Another one of their expensive products that doesn't fit without dicking around with it. No quality control whatsoever. Your best bet is to get a 2x2 sheet of 1/2" MDF from a Home Depot or Lowes and simply use a jigsaw to cut a spacer ring.

Dude, get the facts and information before you just spew random hate. Firstly, they are reasonably priced, and secondly, they are made for specific speakers, which is clearly stated in the product description.

Let me see if I am understanding you correctly..... You put the speakers in the panels, with the panel laying on a flat surface, and the speaker did not sit all the way down, because it hit the flat surface? If that is the case, that is NOT a problem with the door panel, or clearance in any way. When you put the panel in the door, you gain another half inch or so depth for the speaker, as the back of the speaker recess a bit into the actual door cavity.

I just installed speakers in mine, that are 2 & 1/4" deep. With the panels on the table, as I was putting the speaker in the door panel, it also sat up a bit because they were hitting the table underneath the panel. I put a couple pieces of 2" x 4" under the door panel so I could screw in the speaker and mount it. When I put the the panel on the door, everything cleared perfectly. My speakers actually came with spacers kinda like the one you posted above, and I did not need them. I was gonna offer to send them to you when I first started reading the thread, till I saw that you bought some.

These are the speakers I installed, and they fit perfectly, and I did not need to use the supplied spacers.

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2014 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

Dude, get the facts and information before you just spew random hate. Firstly, they are reasonably priced, and secondly, they are made for specific speakers, which is clearly stated in the product description.

Edited......................

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 10-10-2014).]

JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2014 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It took you this long to see a post of mine from last month and you also give me a negative for it yet in your thread today about your glorious installation of these panels, you ask for positive ratings if people find your thread helpful. Real class act.

You sir are mistaken. I never gave you a negative rating. If I did, trust me, I would own up to it. It appears that your rating is fairly good on this message board, and perhaps you were just having a bad day when you posted above.

"you ask for positive ratings if people find your thread helpful. Real class act."

Yea, it is actually very simple: if you find the information useful, rate it, if not, no problem move along. There has been a lot of discussion on the quality of the panels, the fitment of these panels, what they will look like covered, what type of speakers can be used and other questions. The purpose of that thread is simple, to post my first hand experience with the panels, and to give a good honest review of a product.

Certainly a lot more than your contribution of simply running down products you have never seen in person, and really know nothing about, as well falsely accusing someone of giving you a negative rating. By reading what others have said above about your post, In this case, the consensus seems to be that you are in fact the "Real class act."

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 10-10-2014).]

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2014 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You obviously are in love with that company because in every thread where someone comments in a negative fashion, you counter with the most positive reviews. See, what you don't know about me is that I build custom parts for Fiero owners as well as other cars. I have been manufacturing custom one-off parts for about 20 years for cars and motorcycles. I don't come on here and show off what I can do, I simply make parts via word of mouth for people on this forum. I don't advertise or care to, but if I make a part for someone and they want to show it off on here, thats great. I'm a stubborn perfectionist when I do paint jobs or make parts for people. If I don't think the part is to my liking, I start over and some people on here have waited a year for me to make a part for them. THAT is the difference between how a sale should be done and how other companies lack that type of caring and only give a $hit about their bottom dollar. If the Fiero Store would simply take the time to go over their items 100% and possibly modify and make simple changes before they make it available to the public, they would get RAVING reviews from people......but instead they make parts that simply "fit" the car and people comment on the little issues. Hell, you even mentioned some minor issues in your thread about your door panels and for me, those are the simple "blemishes" that drive me nuts especially when paying $200 plus shipping for the panels. Like I said, I'm just a pain in the ass when it comes to the quality of parts but I guess everyone has a different level of expectation and happiness when buying parts for their cars.

And to be honest with you John, I was a little surprised at your comment because I never had any issue with you and I still don't. You seem to be a decent guy on here.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 10-10-2014).]

JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2014 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

And to be honest with you John, I was a little surprised at your comment because I never had any issue with you and I still don't. You seem to be a decent guy on here.

Ditto! Your comment surprised me as well...... You have to admit your initial comment, was a bit "no holds barred" based on the very little information you had about the problem. Especially when it turns out that the door panels were not "rated" for that particular speaker.

It seems you are a good person on here as well, and were just frustrated or something when you made your post. It happens to the best of us. If we are ever at a major Fiero meet at the same time, be it in the Dells, The Tyler Shipman show ect... look me up and I'll buy ya a beer!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock