GT running poor now no spark by fargofiero1
Started on: 09-20-2014 11:13 PM
Replies: 6 (225 views)
Last post by: fargofiero1 on 09-22-2014 04:29 PM
fargofiero1

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2014 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fargofiero1Send a Private Message to fargofiero1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, welcoming myself back into the Fiero world! Picked up my 2nd GT a while back and have been enjoying her, unfortunately though I am now having some troubles. Some backstory; ran great for a while then suddenly started fluxuating idle on cold starts, and suffering from some lack of power, it would come and go with the throttle but generally get better the warmer the car was. I replaced the old TPS and recalibrated as well as a new oxygen sensor but no difference was observed. I then noticed the rotor and cap were pretty warn out so I went ahead and replaced them along with the plug wires, fired the car up and she started pretty good and seemed to be running stronger, however it only lasted about 5min then the car cut out and refused to start again. Checking spark at the coil and the plugs, nothing at all. Replaced the ICM and Ignition Coil and still nothing, not even spark plugging and grounding a plug right off the coil.

No movement from the tach when cranking, so thinking the pickup coil I tested it and it seemed to ohm properly between the connections, however I received no reading (should be very high or infinite if I remember correctly) when placing the ground on the dizzy itself. Bad coil? Maybe I'm testing it wrong.

Any ideas fellas? And could my cold and lack of power at times been weak spark perhaps, and now whatever was causing it finally went out? Thanks for any help in advance!! I've missed the Fiero scene!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2014 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check the connectors to the pickup coil
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2014 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
+1 on the wires on the coil. I had the same problem and replacing them solved it. I think I got the replacement from Phonedawgz but could be wrong. TFS sells them, and although the price seems a bit high, you'll pay almost as much for the pigtails. This is the one -

TFS version -

Alex.07.86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2014 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex.07.86GTSend a Private Message to Alex.07.86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
check you connections -that he pins are in and not bent. 0 ohms means a short circuit. check your meter settings.

this might help Ignition coil testing

MYSTERY PROBLEMS

[This message has been edited by Alex.07.86GT (edited 09-21-2014).]

fargofiero1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2014 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fargofiero1Send a Private Message to fargofiero1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I ordered a new connector from fierostore, mine was rough looking and had been replaced at one point (half replaced, just the distributor connector) by a PO. The pickup coil does seem to be giving a zero ohm reading when going from the prong then grounding the negative to the dizzy, I thought it was supposed to produce a reading, either way because of the poor condition of the dizzy I ordered a Delco reman as the price wasn't too bad, pickup and module included, should be here in a few days and I will report results once I install/retime. Thanks guys.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2014 06:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
phonedawgz version - $27 shipped to US locations

http://www.reddevilriver.com/2.html

$10.45 less expensive than my competition.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 09-22-2014).]

fargofiero1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2014 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fargofiero1Send a Private Message to fargofiero1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, wasn't the connector, replaced it today and still no change. New dizzy with module an pickup in the mail.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock