Matching passenger side intake vent by 86 GT in SC
Started on: 09-20-2014 07:56 PM
Replies: 33 (1502 views)
Last post by: KMFDMFAN on 04-17-2017 11:02 AM
86 GT in SC

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2014 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 GT in SCSend a Private Message to 86 GT in SCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So has anyone ever made a vent (functioning or non) to match the factory air intake that is on the drivers side? I know a lot of people put custom/aftermarket scoops on both sides. It seems like something that would be common considering how boring the right quarter panel looks compared to the left. I am asking this strictly out of curiosity...
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2014 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm a bit surprised that they didn't put a dummy vent on the passenger side just for symmetry. I know you can't see both sides of the car at once, but it would have looked better. I don't doubt that it was discussed during the design phase and some bean counter nixed it because it would have added $6 per car.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2014 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NetCam:
... some bean counter nixed it because it would have added $6 95 cents per car.

...fixed that fer ya...

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 09-20-2014).]

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post09-20-2014 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm sure it would have cost more than $6 to add a second vent on the passenger side "just for symmetry."

For it to not use the same fastening mechanism, it would require more design and engineering resources, which would have cost more money. For it to use the same fastening mechanism, it would have required more design and engineering resources, because it would have changed air flow around the car on the passenger side. For a car that was already heavily budgeted down, it may have been enough to make or break the car, from ever being produced.

The only way to get a vent on the passenger side, is to put one there. The IMSA style vents look better anyway. The plastic finned piece screams 1985.
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2014 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm a bit surprised that they didn't put a dummy vent on the passenger side just for symmetry.

Wasn't talking about engineering a functional vent, just something that looks like the vent that actually works.

[This message has been edited by NetCam (edited 09-20-2014).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-20-2014 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wasn't talking about engineering a functional vent, just something that looks like the vent that actually works.

Yes. I was just saying that a non-functioning grille would likely have cost more to design and engineer onto the vehicle, than a symmetric functioning vent. Also, the way the grille fits into the body, wouldn't make much sense as a non-function vent. And thus, either would have cost more than $6 per car, and serve no particularly useful purpose with the way the car was designed and engineered already.

Even though the dollar was more valuable in 1984, it's a bit disingenuous to blame accounting for a few measly dollars, when they most likely had nothing to do with the particular decision, it likely would have cost more, and the car was already pushed into a minimal budget for production.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2014 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
GM did design matching scoops that stuck out on both sides. There was a pic of them on a gold convertable with the aero package. Then they apparently tried without any scoop at all.
Kevin-84SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2014 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin-84SESend a Private Message to Kevin-84SEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is the Gold convertible prototype with the passenger side scoop.

GM also put a passenger side scoop on the 4 seat Fiero prototype.

I took these pictures in July 1985 at the Fiero Owners convention.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2014 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-08-2018).]

NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2014 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've seen pictures of a silver GT 4 seater. It wasn't a factory prototype but something home grown. I thought it looked better than the gold one above. No passenger side scoop though.

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2014 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've seen pictures of a silver GT 4 seater. It wasn't a factory prototype but something home grown. I thought it looked better than the gold one above. No passenger side scoop though.

Factory vehicle made to demonstrate the strength of the space frame concept. Never intended as a prototype for possible production.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

PFF
System Bot
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2014 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TONY_C

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2014 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've always liked the fact that there was no dummy air intake on the passenger side. I've always thought the fake air intakes on cars were stupid anyway. If you're going to spend money on design, at least make it functional or what is the point really? I think having only the one air intake makes the point that it is functional.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2014 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There's always the stick-on option:

http://www.pepboys.com/prod...xterior/scoops_vents

Applies with double-sided tape! :0
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2014 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

GM did design matching scoops that stuck out on both sides. There was a pic of them on a gold convertable with the aero package. Then they apparently tried without any scoop at all.

I believe part of the problem with these scoops is that they were prone to stone chips.

Personally, I like the single vent opening. It is unique.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-22-2014 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:
I believe part of the problem with these scoops is that they were prone to stone chips.

Personally, I like the single vent opening. It is unique.

I think the outward hump scoops are ugly, too. They just don't look right on a Fiero.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2014 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kevin-84SE:
I took these pictures in July 1985 at the Fiero Owners convention.

I would love to see more of your pictures of historic Fieros if you have any!
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2014 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2014 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Loving that roadster!!
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2014 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86 GT in SC:

So has anyone ever made a vent (functioning or non) to match the factory air intake that is on the drivers side? I know a lot of people put custom/aftermarket scoops on both sides.

Here's a thread with pictures showing the grafting of Fiat X/19 side scoops. They're similar to the Fiero but a little longer and they both can be made functional on the Fiero.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/094229.html

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2014 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

Me, too, but where are these cars, now? I'd like to see them in person.

Some sold, some crushed, few still GM owned.
PFF
System Bot
Kevin-84SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2014 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin-84SESend a Private Message to Kevin-84SEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

I would love to see more of your pictures of historic Fieros if you have any!

I have more pictures from the 1985 Convention, this one has the Car Craft Fiero, unfortunately I did not have a very good camera back then.
This was July of 1985 and Pontiac had not yet released the fastback version, as part of the convention I took a tour of the Fiero plant and at the end of the tour they showed us the fastback model but we were not allowed to bring cameras into the plant.

I don't know who made this one but it was a big hit at the car show, there is a display of the DGP body kit in the background.

I also have pictures from the Fiero's in New England 2002 show and the Fiero Show in Frankenmouth Michigan in 2001
To keep this post on track with the original topic - There was a green Fiero at the Frankenmouth show that had a matching passenger side vent

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2014 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have more pictures from the 1985 Convention, ...

Thanks very cool old pics!
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2014 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IRM fastback kit ( I still have a catalog of their stuff kicking around somewhere)
It extended the back end to make it less stubby. Trunk was enlarged by moving bumper etc. back 7 inches.

I don't know who made this one but it was a big hit at the car show, there is a display of the DGP body kit in the background.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 09-25-2014).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2014 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Found more pics of IRM fastbacks in this thread:
..and possibly that same red car (#3 IRM ?)

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/090612.html

A pic of one without a decklid:

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 09-25-2014).]

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2014 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's a unique idea
nosaint

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2014 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosaintSend a Private Message to nosaintEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I went with MR2 scoop, could do one on each side

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2014 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nosaint:

I went with MR2 scoop, could do one on each side

Looks good
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2014 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

I'm sure it would have cost more than $6 to add a second vent on the passenger side "just for symmetry."

For it to not use the same fastening mechanism, it would require more design and engineering resources, which would have cost more money. For it to use the same fastening mechanism, it would have required more design and engineering resources, because it would have changed air flow around the car on the passenger side. For a car that was already heavily budgeted down, it may have been enough to make or break the car, from ever being produced.

The only way to get a vent on the passenger side, is to put one there. The IMSA style vents look better anyway. The plastic finned piece screams 1985.

You would be surprised how cheap some better ideas would actually cost. Used to be alloy wheels were high end cars or expensive options. Now alloys are standard on almost any car. I cant remember last newer car I saw with steel wheels and hubcaps.

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-26-2014 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:
You would be surprised how cheap some better ideas would actually cost. Used to be alloy wheels were high end cars or expensive options. Now alloys are standard on almost any car. I cant remember last newer car I saw with steel wheels and hubcaps.

Yes, it would be incredibly cheap today. But you must also factor in cost of hours spent by designers and engineers when something is added to a car, not just the cost of materials. But what's common today was incredibly expensive 30 years ago, too. I can't remember the last time I test drove a new car without remote start either, but advancements, supply, and inflation drive prices down. Heck, the body panels for the Fiero were probably 10x more expensive to produce in the 80s, than they would be today, simply due to advancement in manufacturing processes, and reduction in cost of tooling.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2014 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lots of small cars have steel wheels. Prius, echo, some civics, lots of nissans, some mazdas. Yes, mixed models and manufacturers.
PFF
System Bot
Erwin03

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2017 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Erwin03Click Here to visit Erwin03's HomePageSend a Private Message to Erwin03Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry to take an old tread back to the top, however I agree that I would LOVE a matching passenger side vent OEM style!

And regarding the costs.. I have seen some very creative home made bumpers, side scoops, interiors and hood extractors...

so I would agree on this great idea and I would buy one.!
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2017 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 85 SE V6 that I swapped 86-88 GT quarters and late base nose on to....I also wanted matching scoops, so I went with Fiero Warehouse Open IMSA scoop panels- They are somewhat subtle, and the trailing edge of the actual scoop is curved to match the wheel well curve. I used 85 deck vent grating(Honeycomb) to cover the opening....And made matching boxes behind with two holes- the upper left goes to the intake, the upper right will go to the Trunk blower remounted to blow air in a tube along the firewall to the Distributor....The bottom holes will be ducted to the rear brakes.

The Fiero Warehouse parts are well made- they fit well and look sharp.

I am not good at posting pics, but there are pics of my car with the scoops on the second page of General chat; "I actually got quite a few compliments on my Fiero!"

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 04-15-2017).]

KMFDMFAN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2017 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KMFDMFANSend a Private Message to KMFDMFANEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I also have pictures from the Fiero's in New England 2002 show and the Fiero Show in Frankenmouth Michigan in 2001
To keep this post on track with the original topic - There was a green Fiero at the Frankenmouth show that had a matching passenger side vent

I just noticed that the main part of the green car's matching side intakes are from an early 80's 280ZX.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock