Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Need advice on where to buy good quality alternator for 3800 swap car.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Need advice on where to buy good quality alternator for 3800 swap car. by zmcdonal
Started on: 09-18-2014 06:47 PM
Replies: 10 (175 views)
Last post by: Alex.07.86GT on 09-19-2014 04:57 PM
zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2014 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am looking for the most reliable place to buy an alternator for my 3800 swap car. I have had TERRIBLE luck in the past with autozone, yeah lifetime warranty, you're going to need it! What is the best place to buy a high quality alternator? It has a 98 GTP alternator on it now, that's 105amp it would be nice if I could find one that's 140amp.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2014 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
See if you have a local starter/alternator rebuilder. You get to keep the OEM alternator and they normally are skilled technicians using quality parts. Oftentimes it is cheaper to rebuild the one you have than to buy a rebuilt on.

When I do buy rebuilt alternators, I get them from NAPA (same for starters and fuel pumps).
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2014 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.moradpartscompany.com
I purchased my last one from ED Morad.

[This message has been edited by nosrac (edited 09-18-2014).]

zmcdonal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2014 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't think there is a reliable rebuilder around here. A few years back, my dad had an alternator for his Bonneville rebuilt to a higher amperage at a place like that and it went out super fast as well. I swear I live in like a dead zone for auto enthusiasts.

I searched on the link provided, he does have 2 listed and they are very reasonably priced, however I am a little leery of buying a used one, especially since he says the one looks to have been recently replaced. That would be just my luck to get a used autozone POS.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2014 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoClick Here to Email Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The only part of a GM alternator I have ever seen go bad are the Diodes. for the price of $7 and a half hour of your time, you can just replace them. available at any parts store. Not rocket science. I'm sure there are write-ups on here that can tell you "step by step" how to do it YOURSELF.
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2014 07:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd try Rock Auto (hunt for a discount code first) ...
DimeMachine

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2014 08:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe get one from a yard. The alt on my 97 regal gs donor motor has been going strong for the past 3.5 years..... I am knocking on wood now that I said that...

------------------
84/87 NB, 3800SC, E-85, VS Cam, 2.8 Pulley, 4T65E-HD, HP Tuners, AEM Wideband, Regal GS Gauges, S-10 Brake Booster. 1/4 mile -11.85 at 114mph

Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2014 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zmcdonal:
I swear I live in like a dead zone for auto enthusiasts.

Hammond to Michigan City? Mostly Semi truck enthusiasts....... I 94 is no place for a little Fiero.

You are right....the lifetime warranty is worse than worthless....it gives manufacturers an excuse to build junk....thinking the customer will fall for it. Ask the re-builder what brand he uses.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 09-19-2014).]

zmcdonal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2014 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I ended up ordering a new one from Napa. The guy there even told me that autozone is known for having bad electrical components. It was kind of pricey but at least I shouldn't have to worry about it. And it comes with a lifetime warranty as well.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 321
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2014 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaClick Here to Email Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Three years ago when I did my personal 3800SC I purchased a USA rebuilt AC Delco alternator on eBay. They were being sold by the Hite Parts Exchange rebuilders ( a USA rebuilder) and its held up and worked great ever since. Unfortunately much of the alternator and starter rebuilding is now farmed out to China. Much of it is rebuilt using inferior quality parts and is pure junk. Buyer beware!!! As for Autozome most of what they sell is low cost garbage. I know the manager at the local Autozone and they regularly send back 2 full pallets of failed /returned merchandise each and every month. I wouldn't use Autozone Duralast parts if they were free. There is very little in that store of quality.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Alex.07.86GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2014 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex.07.86GTSend a Private Message to Alex.07.86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zmcdonal:

I ended up ordering a new one from Napa. The guy there even told me that autozone is known for having bad electrical components. It was kind of pricey but at least I shouldn't have to worry about it. And it comes with a lifetime warranty as well.

yea, dont do autozone!!

fix it yourself man!!!! must be videos on youtube!!!
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock