Started on: 09-16-2014 09:52 AM
Replies: 9 (262 views)
Last post by: 85 SE VIN 9 on 09-17-2014 05:24 AM
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2014 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone have the part number for the DS door latch?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Ponnari

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2014 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PonnariSend a Private Message to PonnariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This might help, Please don't hold me to this, I'm going off memory here, and an old OEM box with my old latch in it.

The passenger side was part number 20488070, which was replaced by 16608172 (RH Passenger Door Latch) 1984-88 Fiero. I believe Olds Toronados from about 1982-1985? used the same part.

With that said, and trying to remember my former life as a parts counterman, I believe the Drivers side latch would be either 20488071 or 20488069? and or 16608171 or 16608173?

I hope this helps, and at least gives you a place to start. If I'm wrong, my apologies!
bonaduce

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2014 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ponnari is correct DS=16608173
PS=16608172

also used on 82-85 tornado, just verified through the september gm catalog

dan
Ponnari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2014 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PonnariSend a Private Message to PonnariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Dan! You have just proven my Alzheimers has not progressed........ well much anyway.
1MohrFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2014 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Lou and Dan. I have done a search with those numbers and it looks like the DS is out of stock and no longer available. Time to find a good spare everyone.

Next question, my door latch locked up and wouldn't work on me yesterday. I finally got it open and decided to remove it and clean/fix it. I found the following plastic piece inside the mechanism. Does anybody know if it belongs there or is it something that got stuck in there by accident?

I am going to repost this in another thread in hope of a quick answer so I can get the door back together. My apology for a little spam.
Ponnari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2014 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PonnariSend a Private Message to PonnariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
huuuummmm................ I don't remember that piece, and I looked at my old latch from the passenger side and I don't see anything that looks like the piece in your pic. Maybe mine is missing???

Hope you find out, Please let us know.
Ponnari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2014 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PonnariSend a Private Message to PonnariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ponnari

565 posts
Member since Dec 2011
Just thought of something...... could it be a plug for where the power lock actuator rod attaches? if the car didn't have power locks originally???

I'm totally guessing here????????????????
NetCam

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2014 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For new aftermarket handles Rock Auto has decent ones, I bought a pair last year.
1MohrFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2014 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It does look like a plug of some kind. It didn't really stop the latch from operating but removing it seemed to make for a more solid latch closure. It was resting above the top strike plate.

I just finished reinstalling the latch. That is not a job I want to do very often. Getting it out was easy but reattaching the actuating rods and the locking clips that keep them in place was a nightmare.
85 SE VIN 9

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2014 05:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Doesn't the fierostore have the latches?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock