Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Any decent engine/trans mounts for 84 duke?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Any decent engine/trans mounts for 84 duke? by Dukeiboy
Started on: 09-15-2014 10:12 PM
Replies: 23 (320 views)
Last post by: Dukeiboy on 09-19-2014 09:03 AM
Dukeiboy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2014 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DukeiboySend a Private Message to DukeiboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is there any sources for some good mounts for the 84's? I'm pretty well fed up with the rubber mounts tearing after a few months of driving. I'm getting some wild looks at college when people hear my car clunk every time I shift. Are quality parts too much to ask for these days? I see Rodney has poly trans mounts the are supposed to fit the 84's, but no dogbone or engine mounts for them. I read in another post that he is working on getting some quality rubber mounts, is this still true?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2014 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Odd. I have regular rubber mounts with my Indy's SD4 and they're holding up fine.
I have poly on the dogbone and THAT's what stops the engine from rocking.

Of course, your driving style may differ too

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 09-15-2014).]

Dukeiboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2014 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DukeiboySend a Private Message to DukeiboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll admit my driving is well spirited, but my new motor mounts should have been the last of my worries with a 30 year old car. Where did you buy your poly strut?
edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2014 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a Poly dogbone on my 84. I think it came from the Fiero Store.
Worked fine, but it transmitted too much vibration for me, since the Duke doesn't run so smooth. I also had one on my V6 Fomula and it worked great. Didn't even know the difference between poly and rubber. V6 ran nice and smooth.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2014 08:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I replaced all the mounts on my 85 duke with rubber ones from Rock auto and not a problem since. Is it possible that you have the wrong dogbone mount on yours, they come in different sizes.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2014 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you change all of your mounts, as one bad mount can destroy the rest? I have never had a replacement mount go bad. Poly dog bone mount will transfer a lot of vibration and it will stress the other mounts (my opinion).

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 09-16-2014).]

Dukeiboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2014 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DukeiboySend a Private Message to DukeiboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All the mounts were changed at the same time after the trans mount ripped. Then just months later the new one ripped again.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2014 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Engine mount... See my Cave, Engine Mounts
Dog bone... See my Cave, Torque Strut

if you have new type bone then could break trans/engine mounts. New style is a bigger issue w/ 87+ L4 and Auto Trans.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2014 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dukeiboy:

All the mounts were changed at the same time after the trans mount ripped. Then just months later the new one ripped again.

Check for other play in your suspension/cradle? You could have had a bad part, also.

Do you have the single mount or the two mounts for the tranny? If you have the single mount, get the parts from a manual tranny to do the double mount (manual trannies have these). Spreads the load out a little.
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2014 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can get the bushings to convert your dogbone to poly from any Prothane vendor - part 7-501

HERE, for example.

[This message has been edited by KurtAKX (edited 09-16-2014).]

KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2014 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

KurtAKX

4008 posts
Member since Feb 2002
It will look like THIS when you're done.
PFF
System Bot
Dukeiboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2014 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DukeiboySend a Private Message to DukeiboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jaskispyder, what other play should I be looking for in the cradle? The bushings? I know that those are original, but how would those affect the mounts? I have the manual trans so I have two transmission mounts. the trans mount towards the front of the car is the one that is ripped.

KurtAKX, will those bushings work on a replacement dogbone? or do I need the original?
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2014 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The installation procedure, if done wrong, can result in premature failure of the transmission mount. Consult the repair manual for the proper procedure.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2014 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On my GT I installed a torque strap to limit rotation under torque.
It's just a cable attached to a transmission bolt and cradle.
Maybe your driving style requires one.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2014 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Jaskispyder, what other play should I be looking for in the cradle? The bushings? I know that those are original, but how would those affect the mounts? I have the manual trans so I have two transmission mounts. the trans mount towards the front of the car is the one that is ripped.

KurtAKX, will those bushings work on a replacement dogbone? or do I need the original?

I would check control arm bushings, and cradle bushings. Get a crowbar in there and see if there is any play. So, you changed the two tranny mounts and the lower engine mount, along with the top strut? I would replace the two tranny mounts again. Also, I don't recommend poly mounts on a duke, as it will only stress the other mounts and the 4cyl will cause a lot of vibration. I tried this and switched back to rubber top strut. Think about this... if the top strut is solid, where will the torque be applied... to the other mounts, which are rubber.

If you have a bad control arm, or cradle mount, it could put excess stress on the engine/tranny mounts, depending on how bad they are. I doubt they are bad enough for that, so I am guessing you just got a bad mount and changing both will fix it. If not, what type of driver are you?
redraif

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2014 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redraifSend a Private Message to redraifEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

I replaced all the mounts on my 85 duke with rubber ones from Rock auto and not a problem since. Is it possible that you have the wrong dogbone mount on yours, they come in different sizes.

I also got all 3 rubber mounts from rock auto for my manual 84 indy. Anchor brand. Installed them all due to a broken tyranny mount. Still have the original cradle bushings and dog bone rubber. All the suspension was changed to poly at the same time. Car is lowered to right at 2.5 fingers of clearance above the tires.

So far so good. I don't daily drive it however. Probably have a few 1000 on them all.

------------------
Please forgive my typos, I'm typically posting via cell.

1984 Indy Fiero SE Pace Car Replica #770
"SE" Stormtrooper Edition
Rescued, resuscitated and reversibly modified! (I'm so not done yet!)

Poly all round & Black Drag DR-34s
Frt: 225/45 on 18x8 (47 offset w/ 8-9mm spacer) 1.5 coils cut off 1984 WS6 springs
Rear: 265/35 on 18x8.5 (45 offset) Coil-overs w/ 10 inch 300lb springs & 7 inch sleeve

Everything is the previous owners fault!

Dukeiboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2014 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DukeiboySend a Private Message to DukeiboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've never done business with Rock Auto before but I might try them out. I'll also check out those bushings while I'm under there. If i remember correctly, my cradle bushings were pretty dry rotted.

That torque strap is a good idea, might have to rig one of those up somehow. If it still doesn't hold to my driving I might just weld the tranny down solid

Just wish I had the time and money to restore the old beast right now, before it rots out from under me.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2014 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've never done business with Rock Auto before but I might try them out. I'll also check out those bushings while I'm under there. If i remember correctly, my cradle bushings were pretty dry rotted.

That torque strap is a good idea, might have to rig one of those up somehow. If it still doesn't hold to my driving I might just weld the tranny down solid

Just wish I had the time and money to restore the old beast right now, before it rots out from under me.

You shouldn't need a torque strap nor should you weld the engine in place. We are talking about the 2.5L (I have owned more than a few and never had a mount break)

Rock Auto is great, they carry the same parts as the local places (but sometimes more selection and better prices), so the mounts will probably still be from Anchor. Just an FYI.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2014 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When you change all the mounts do not do the final tightening until all the mounts are installed. If you tighten the transmission mounts while the motor is jacked up to take off the stress when you take the jack out the mounts will have too much stress on them and could break. Leave them loose mounted so they can go into the correct position when you take out the jack.
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2014 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've looked at this. I bought some trans mounts from a few different suppliers. All different names. Guess what? All appear to be made by the same China company. Just in different boxes with different brand names on them and sold at different prices. The cheapest ones I bought look exactly the same as the highest price ones I bought.

I'm still looking at my idea and I may get that done one day in the near future. From what I have seen all the aftermarket ones are just low quality short life parts. The problem is the rubber separates from the steel. They all suffer the same fate. Having a poly type dog bone will help a lot.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Dukeiboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2014 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DukeiboySend a Private Message to DukeiboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Csjag, Thanks for the tip, The mounts are on there way from RockAuto. Man the shipping costs are crazy!

Rodney, that is exactly what happened to mine. It really disappoints me that this china crap is the only thing available. If you go through with making some high quality mounts i'll definitely be interested! I'm sure my new ones will rip again in the near future.. I guess I am a wild driver or something... I take after my mother

------------------
Red '84, 75,000 miles.. work in progress

PFF
System Bot
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2014 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One hint: The aftermarket trans mounts use a much thinner steel. Save your old thick HD GM steel brackets if you have OEM GM trans mounts. My kit will require you to use the steel pieces that mount to the cradle. So if the rubber is ripped off save the steel frame piece. Maybe some older replacement trans mounts from years ago used thicker steel?

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2014 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Last ones I bought came from India. But I was also under the impression that most all vendors were selling the same thing.
Dukeiboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2014 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DukeiboySend a Private Message to DukeiboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney, thanks for that bit of info. Hope to see em soon

Also, just rebuilt my headlight motor with your metal gear. Works great!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock