switchback lights by raysr11
Started on: 09-15-2014 01:05 PM
Replies: 23 (763 views)
Last post by: Csjag on 09-18-2014 02:03 PM
raysr11

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2014 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for raysr11Send a Private Message to raysr11Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2014 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Should work but you may need an electronic flasher to replace your stock one.

List of Fiero bulb sizes:
http://www.fierosails.com/BulbsLamps.html
The 1157 & 2057 bulbs are a direct swap, 1157 can be slightly dimmer.

raysr11

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2014 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for raysr11Send a Private Message to raysr11Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So when the parking lights are on they are white and when the turn signal is on they are amber. On the site application guide it said they wouldn't work so I came here. I'm curious how they work.

[This message has been edited by raysr11 (edited 09-15-2014).]

Csjag

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2014 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
that's a lot cheaper than the tlg setup but you would need a clear lense
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post09-15-2014 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2014 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

http://www.blacktopupgrades...or-fiero-switchback/

You mean these?

Yes, their video shows them being used as drl's
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2014 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-08-2018).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2014 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by raysr11:
So when the parking lights are on they are white and when the turn signal is on they are amber. On the site application guide it said they wouldn't work so I came here. I'm curious how they work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171...true#ht_48161wt_1001

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

All they probably did was use 2 different LED colors, white for parking and orange for turn signal. The Fiero stock incandescent bulb had one filament for parking and a different filament for turn signal.

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

As long as it fits in the housing (which it should but I did not measure) I dont know why it wouldnt work.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 09-16-2014).]

ILVMYGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2014 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ILVMYGTSend a Private Message to ILVMYGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I sprang for a set of the $3 switchback LED lights. They had 60 LEDs on them. They did not fit very well and needed to be trimmed at the base to fit and work. They were not very bright. When compared to the ones from BlackTopUpgrades they were junk. This isn't to say the more expensive one on Ebay are not brighter. The $3 one didn't even make it out the driveway.

------------------
88 GT 5 Speed Black with gray interior
3800 SCII Swap.
Paint in Progress

IT RUNS!!
IT'S QUICK!!

"Real integrity is doing the right thing, knowing that nobody's going to know whether you did it or not."

raysr11

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2014 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for raysr11Send a Private Message to raysr11Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the replies!
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2014 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:
The ogre has an article in his cave about using these. Issues, legalities, and such. One issue is that these may not shine as far.

Ebay TLG/BU does matter. Cheap units are often dim or die very soon but Quality isn't the main issue.
switchback lights could get you in trouble if cops stop you. Any lighting problem then Cops can stop you in most states. A blown/dim OE brake light? Cops can stop you.

See my Cave, LED poisoning

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 09-16-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
raysr11

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2014 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for raysr11Send a Private Message to raysr11Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191...id=p3984.m1436.l2649 These have resistors. Do the ones TLG offers have the resistors? Where do they go?
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2014 05:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2014 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Mine from TLG did not come with resistors; however, they did send resistors to stop an issue I had. I ended up not needing the resistors. You don't want to have to use the resistors.

With an electronic blinker one wouldnt need a resistor would they?
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2014 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by raysr11:

So when the parking lights are on they are white and when the turn signal is on they are amber.

Originally posted by dobey:

http://www.blacktopupgrades...or-fiero-switchback/

You mean these?

One of my friends has these on his 88 GT. White on Park, Amber when flashing. Very slick!

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2014 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was looking at BlacktopRacing's video with parking lights on.
When the blinker is on it flashes white-amber-white-amber, then goes back to solid white after the blinker is turned off
Wouldnt it be better if it flashed amber-off-amber-off, then went back to white after the blinker was turned off?
Would special wiring be required for this?
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2014 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jschmidt95

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2014 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jschmidt95Send a Private Message to jschmidt95Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd like to chime in only because I just worked with these over the summer. I bought a pair of these on ebay from here:
First Switchback LED's

and installed them without the resistors (you do need the electronic flasher) but on my drivers side, the socket was too tight for the lamp to fit all the way in. I pressed it too hard and it broke. I soldered and heat shrinked in a new socket, and the remaining bulb i had now worked on both sides.
Now i needed another bulb, so i went here: Second switchback LED thinking these would be perfect... WRONG. Idk what it is about this other Chinese knockoff, but when I would turn the DRL on, it would be white, but when I activated the turn signal, both the amber and the white blinked, and the white overpowered the amber. I tested this on the bench just to confirm it, and came to the conclusion that the LED lamps are wired differently.

I can post up a quick video about how I did the install and my problems with the LED lamps if anyone has any questions about it.

Just throwing this out there...

-John

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2014 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jschmidt95:

I'd like to chime in only because I just worked with these over the summer.
-John

How were the brightness and was the white- white or blueish?

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 09-18-2014).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2014 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43224 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by jschmidt95:

First Switchback LED's

-John

They have a nice little gif that shows how they blink white/amber/white/amber. This seems to be how they all do it.

I still think i'd only want these if they blinked amber/off/amber/off then back to white when not signaling.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2014 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you buy just the bulbs off ebay where can you get the clear lenses to go with them?
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2014 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2014 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Clear lenses from the Fiero Store.

I may configure mine to blink amber-off-amber. Depends on my spare time. It does look a bit odd with the amber-white-amber blink. I don't know yet what is involved. I'll have to put the meter on it and check.

Yeah after the cost of Fiero Store lenses going with BTR ( used to be TLG) would probably be a better quality deal.

Share what you learn about the amber-off-amber blink when you get around to it if you would
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2014 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I notice that on cars with drl's they go off when the turn signal blinks

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock