No Crank No Start Need Help by FieroJosh1993
Started on: 09-14-2014 11:19 PM
Replies: 11 (314 views)
Last post by: FieroJosh1993 on 09-15-2014 09:15 PM
FieroJosh1993

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2014 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJosh1993Send a Private Message to FieroJosh1993Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys so as some of you know Im doing an engine swap in my 87 GT Automatic. I got it all hooked up and its ready to fire up but I got a problem

Ok so I bought a new starter new Alternator all new sensors all new ignition parts. When I turn the key I get dash lights and my head lights work. I can hear the fuel pump prime and then stop like normal. When I turn the key to start, I dont hear the starter click, engine doesn't crank, My lights don't dime and my battery has a full charge on it. Just no click from the starter and no crank. Gauges do move when I try to start it. The speedo, fuel gauge and voltage gauge all twitch a little. The Temp Gauge moves from the low side all the way to the high side, if I let up on the key the needle stops and if I hold the key down to start the needle goes all the way past max temp. Not sure if that helps. I checked all my grounds and as far as I can tell every one is good. Wires on the starter are hooked up right and are tight.

I am going to bypass the starter wire tomorrow and make sure the solenoid is working. But if you guys have any other places to look, let me know.

Thanks

Josh
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2014 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any chance you swapped harnesses? The AT and MT harnesses put the starter wire in different positions on C500.

Use a 12v test light. When the key is turned to start do you get +12v on the large yellow wire of the AT transmission plug? You should

Is the AT in Park? Is the AT connector not plugged in? When the connector is plugged in the +12v on the yellow wire when you turn the key to start is passed on to the purple wire that then runs to the starter solenoid.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 09-14-2014).]

FieroJosh1993

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2014 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJosh1993Send a Private Message to FieroJosh1993Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yeah i took a harness from a different 2.8L but My engine is just a rebuilt 2.8L, What would be the difference? Where is the AT plug is that the one on the rear end of the trans near the firewall?

[This message has been edited by FieroJosh1993 (edited 09-14-2014).]

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2014 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
C500 is near the battery with the bolt in the middle

The AT plug is the large one on the shift shaft of the AT. It is the only plug that has a large purple and large yellow wire on it.

Compare the two harnesses. Is the large yellow wire in the same spot on C500. If not you will need to move the position of the large yellow wire to match the old harness.

If you need to swap the position of the yellow wire - https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/129567.html

YOU MUST PULL THE WHITE CLIP FROM THE SIDE OF C500 BEFORE YOU CAN GET THE WIRE TO PULL OUT OF C500, along with detanging the metal terminal

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 09-14-2014).]

FieroJosh1993

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2014 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJosh1993Send a Private Message to FieroJosh1993Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Problem is I only have one harness, the engine I rebuilt was just the block and intake no sensors or wires. So how can i tell, Should I just switch the yellow wire from A4 to E2? I will double check the AT sensor tomorrow.
FieroJosh1993

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2014 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJosh1993Send a Private Message to FieroJosh1993Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok guys, So I bypassed the battery cables going to the starter and hit the solenoid with my jumper wire. The starter kicked over. So the problem is in my wiring.

This is the big yellow wire that comes from the starter to C500

These are the only Purple ish wires I see coming from the same part of the harness. They go under C500 right?

One of the purple ish wires looks like it is hooked up with the positive cable is this right?

What do I do next. Never was good at electrical stuff

[This message has been edited by FieroJosh1993 (edited 09-15-2014).]

FieroJosh1993

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2014 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJosh1993Send a Private Message to FieroJosh1993Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FieroJosh1993

273 posts
Member since Sep 2012
Ok I dont know if understand how to switch the wires. Am I taking the yellow wire at A4 and moving it to E2 and Taking the wire at E2 and moving it to A4? Lol im confused, plz help

A4 is on the left, but as you can see there isnt a wire at E2 on the right. So what do I need to do.

[This message has been edited by FieroJosh1993 (edited 09-15-2014).]

FieroJosh1993

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2014 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJosh1993Send a Private Message to FieroJosh1993Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FieroJosh1993

273 posts
Member since Sep 2012
also this just may be me over thinking or not knowing enough about Fiero's. but if the car is an 87 and im using the same Wiring harness that was in it, do i need to change any wires in C500? Shouldnt it still be the same as when the car was running? I only changed engine years, from an 87 2.8L to a rebuilt 86 2.8L or is it maybe I have a bad wire in the starter circuit?

Just throwing out ideas.
FieroJosh1993

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2014 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJosh1993Send a Private Message to FieroJosh1993Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FieroJosh1993

273 posts
Member since Sep 2012
I just tested the AT Large Yellow wire and Purple Wire. With the key held to start I got 0.020 Volts when i let up on the key it goes to 0.015 volts.

I took a wire and hooked it up to the Positive Battery terminal and then touched the starter solenoid. It kicks over like it should. I can't see anything wrong with any of the wires from the starter to the Battery. I also went through all the gears trying to start the car in case the gear shifter was not in the correct gear, no go there either. I don't think its the whole C500 switching wires around deal due to the fact that the car is and 87 and the harness I have belongs to that car. i.e. the wires should be in the correct spots on C500, Atleast the engine that the 87GT came with worked with that harness.

So Im at a loss. I dont know what else to do here, could really use some guidance.

Thanks

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2014 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not much help, but hang in there it takes a while sometimes for enough educated eyes to see the thread.
FieroJosh1993

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2014 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJosh1993Send a Private Message to FieroJosh1993Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah I know lol just really want this to fire up. Lol been over a year since I started this project so close to the end
PFF
System Bot
FieroJosh1993

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2014 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJosh1993Send a Private Message to FieroJosh1993Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FieroJosh1993

273 posts
Member since Sep 2012
Found the problem!!!!!!!!

Bad Neutral Safety Switch. I double checked the linkage to make sure it was adjusted properly, It was Still wouldn't start. Unplugged the NSS and jumped the yellow and purple wires together. Car started.

Thanks to everyone for the help. I hope I want have to post back here for any more issues.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock