'84 Duke air in coolant and coolant leak by Dukeiboy
Started on: 09-14-2014 09:09 PM
Replies: 10 (262 views)
Last post by: un fiero on 01-08-2015 08:02 PM
Dukeiboy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2014 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DukeiboySend a Private Message to DukeiboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been fighting a swinging temp gauge for a while now during the cars warm-up cycle. I have burped and burped this system as per Ogres Cave instructions and still the gauge swings almost to the red 2-3 times before settling just over a quarter on the temp gauge. New thermostat, thermostat cap, and radiator cap. Recently I discovered a small coolant leak out of the corner of the radiator as well. My question is, would this leak prevent me from burping all of the air out? Could this be sucking in air somehow? Head gasket problem?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2014 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If coolant can get out, air can get in. When the car is hot the coolant expands, then when it cools the coolant will contract and possibly suck air in. Additionally, being unable to maintain the correct pressure in the cooling system will result in erratic temperature control.
Dukeiboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2014 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DukeiboySend a Private Message to DukeiboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome, thanks! I guess i'll have my radiator repaired and then try burping her again!
Dukeiboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2014 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DukeiboySend a Private Message to DukeiboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I got a new radiator and burped the system. and while in the process I noticed coolant spitting out of my tailpipe. Is this a sure sign of a head gasket problem? I did a compression test on it and they were all around 140 except the belt side cylinder, which I couldn't get above 115. This was with the throttle closed, which I am now told is wrong. Either way i'm sure I would be told the same story.

------------------
Red '84, 75,000 miles.. work in progress

Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2014 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you sure that it's coolant? It is getting cold out and there is a lot of condensation forming in the exhaust... Water coming out the tail pipe is a normal condition, but more noticeable in the colder temps...
Dukeiboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2014 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DukeiboySend a Private Message to DukeiboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well after starting and stopping the motor a few times while burping, i noticed it sprayed all over the ground (and probably all over my brothers Camaro) so I started it again and held my hand over the exhaust to try to catch it. After it ran for a minute or so it started coming out and it definitely felt like coolant because I could not dry my hand by rubbing it as you could do with water.

------------------
Red '84, 75,000 miles.. work in progress

Dukeiboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2014 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DukeiboySend a Private Message to DukeiboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can't think of any other things that it would be besides the headgasket. Brand new radiator and hoses, pipes are good, water pump is working, thermostat works. Plus my compression results and coolant in exhaust.
Alex.07.86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2014 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex.07.86GTSend a Private Message to Alex.07.86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
are you losing coolant ? did you have to add coolant?

Does the water or smoke slow down or pick up when the engine warms up?

is there coolant in the oil? the oil will look grey or milky - Stop the test!!! Stop the engine!!!

did you pull the spark plug with low compression to see if it looks like it was steam cleaned?

until your sure what it is, just add water not antifreeze

can u pressure test the coolant system? see if you notice more smoke in the tail pipe.

Dukeiboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2014 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DukeiboySend a Private Message to DukeiboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am slowly loosing coolant yes, with no external leaks. The coolant coming out the tailpipe seems to happen after it warms up a bit, and exhaust smells sweet at start up. I checked the cylinder that was low and it didn't look steam cleaned, but seemed greyish. Oil looks fine.
yellow peril

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2015 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellow perilSend a Private Message to yellow perilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
did you ever figure this out? I may have something similar happening.
un fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2015 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for un fieroSend a Private Message to un fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 88 base coupe was doing the same thing. Mine had a small breach in the head gasket and it was blowing out the exhaust as well, but my far passenger side cylinder DID look steam cleaned!
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock