Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Replacing front calipers - Is there a 'how to' anywhere?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Replacing front calipers - Is there a 'how to' anywhere? by NetCam
Started on: 09-14-2014 06:37 PM
Replies: 3 (106 views)
Last post by: NetCam on 09-14-2014 07:40 PM
NetCam

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2014 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm about to embark on the replacement of my front rotors and brake lines. I bought factory replacements from Rock Auto to get me by until I decide to do a full brake upgrade. After doing a bit of searching/reading, it appears there may be a bit more to it than just putting on the new calipers and hoses and then bleeding the system. I read over the Ogre's cave and there's mention of lubricating the calipers, but I'm not making any sense out of the diagrams (my brain works best with pictures). Is there a good step by step how to anywhere? I've tried searching here and YouTube as well but haven't had a lot of luck.

Pictures from the Ogre's cave:

Thanks in advance!

[This message has been edited by NetCam (edited 09-14-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 280
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2014 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageClick Here to Email fierosoundSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Only a couple places need to be lubed - makes more sense when you are looking at the actual parts.

Lube the contact points where the caliper touches the knuckle.
Lube the PINS that slide into the caliper and attach it to the knuckle.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 552
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2014 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Year? 84-87?

Front is easy, do one side so you can look at other side.
lube, use brake grease
1. Just a light coat on Cast Iron bracket were it hits caliper and Inner Pad tips on top and bottom of both.
2. Caliper's sliders and holes. If you use too much, just wipe the overflow.

Read torque spec for banjo bolts. Is very easy to strip the thread in Al caliper.
If you don't have a torque wrench then get, rent or borrow a click type. Need 3/8 inch drive.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2014 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Car is an '85 GT, forgot to mention that. I have a click type torque wrench which I use on pretty much everything because I've always had a tendency to overdo it and have stripped/broken many a bolt in my days. Thanks for all the advice, I'll be posting my progress next weekend (Canadian weather permitting of course).

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock