Possible TC, TCC or TCC solenoid problems? 88 V6 by paulsobj
Started on: 09-14-2014 04:15 AM
Replies: 6 (241 views)
Last post by: paulsobj on 09-23-2014 02:29 PM
paulsobj

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2014 04:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for paulsobjSend a Private Message to paulsobjEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1988 GT V6
I have done as much research and trouble shooting as I can with no resolution. I was having a shuddering feeling in my car when I went to work (30 min up hill drive) and no real issues on the drive home. Once the shudder starts it is at all speeds and rpms and in P-R-N-D. When I checked the trans fluid at work it was extremely hot and low. I filled to spec and it still seems to be overheating and shuddering now on the way home but it takes a little longer for symptoms. It will not have the shudder if I cool the car and start it, I let it idle for 20 min and no shudder. Its only after I drive it. I did the TCC test while the trans was yet to start shuddering. I was doing 45 and hit the break and the rpm went up 200 as it should. But when I tried it at 55 it was not changing rpm.

I am a little confused as it seems that the shudder is related to the TC or trans vice a engine power issue. But why is it happening in all gears and rpms? Could the TCC solenoid be malfunctioning and trying to engage/ disengage the TCC continuously? Is the TC going bad causing the fluid to overheat and then not function properly when it reaches a certain temperature/ lower viscosity?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2014 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unplug the TCC and see what happens
paulsobj

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2014 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for paulsobjSend a Private Message to paulsobjEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I tried that today and same results. So i can rule out the TCC solenoid. It is also weird that the shudder was more random and stronger. not it is less noticeable but more reliable for making it happen. could it be the trans and not the TC?
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2014 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unplug then is not any part of TC Clutch.

3 speed... Check TV adjustment, otherwise likely internal to the trans.
(4 speed... check TV and vacuum modulator.)

Governor would hose shifting. TV cable w/ iffy adjustment will cause Hydraulic pressure problems.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

paulsobj

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2014 01:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for paulsobjSend a Private Message to paulsobjEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So i have some time to look at the tv cable and i see the "D" but it seems to be stuck. Is it hard to press normally or common to be jammed? I dont want to break it. From what i read i need to depress the button and move the small plastic end toward the trans. Then WOT.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2014 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think TV cable should not cause "shuddering feeling."

Adjusting should not be hard.
Adjuster might be block w/ dirt etc. Carefully check. Do Not Force the button or other parts.

I don't have V6 handy right now... Most are this...

Push button so TV spring (inside trans) move cable out of adjustment. Make sure button is same as started. Some cables can move too far then bind the cable and won't adjust w/o "resetting" the button.
Release button
Move TB arm to WOT. Do Not hit Gas Pedal!
Done.
paulsobj

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2014 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for paulsobjSend a Private Message to paulsobjEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well i decided yesterday to just poke around the engine to verify that it was not a misfire. well it was.... i am happy that it isnt a trans issue as the cost is much more. what happened is #3 had a spark plug that was not tightened fully. so when the engine was cold it was sealed. then as the engine heated up and the metal expanded it created a gap and then a misfire. i cant get over the fact that i over looked that. thanks for all the help though i am definitely more knowledgeable how transmissions work!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock