Didn't get any replies in the mall so I'll ask here
After being here since I bought me Indy . I've watched many sub boxes threads, one for a wood box under the dash (pass side), a fiber box on the idea of the oem but for a 8" sub.. and a few others..
This winter, I because there are 5 plastics companies around me ,I'm going to look into the feasibility of having a o.e.m. type sub box made, only with as much volume as the under dash can stand.. Looking at photo's on here of the g.m. one it looks like there is room to make it longer, moving the port from the top to the top left side, and an inch wider and not sure yet on how much deeper(front to back) won't know that until I pull the g.m. one I bought in 2012 out of the box it was shipped to me in, talk about faith in members I haven't even opened the box HA..
If those with the g.m. one installed want to hange upside down with head under dash and feet out sunroof or window, and snap a photo of the unit, air space between it and dash.. so the photo is as I was under dash looking up at it.. that would be great, and a photo of the back side of the dash if anyone has a photo of the back of one when they might have had the dash out.. as that allow me to get the ball rolling on the computer while I'm out on medical leave from work and bored stiff, and no I can't at the moment stuff mine under there and measure.. and that's killing me, not touching my cars , but that's another story,thread..
Looking to see if I can make it big enough that the internal volume is big enough for an 8"
Now for opinions,
1) factory set up just larger or
2) sub at top of the unit with cone firing up, allowing the widening of the case to fit the 8" clear the top of the heater box,, this may require the dash speaker spot to use the 5.25" adapter plates with the woofer inbound and the tweeter (if separates) outbound (closer to the door) , or door pods/kick pods for those that go that route .
3) factory style larger with the sub mounted like g.m. did but with the mounting for the sub made to fit 5.25 /6.5/8" subs allowing the user to decide what size unit he/she wants to use.. also the top side made for the option of the user adding a passive radiator driver instead of, or in addition of a port/ port tube.
4) for shipping reasons, it be made in 2 halfs left and right, and user would but it together with automotive panel bonding adhesive that's available everywhere.. think of the joint as an engine block oil pan rail and pan.. or the user could caulk or rtv the joint and bolt/rivet it together, choice would be theirs . or B) a receiver groove to take a home window/door screen rubber to act like a o-ring to seal the two sides..
5) an internal x brace to connect the 4 sides for those that use a radiator and don't want the box flex..
6)port hole not drilled so user can pick size and where it is put.. depending on what and how he/she loads it..
So to the F-E-E-L-E-R part
(poll option would've been nice here. lol )
Other ideas welcome..
seems building one like this would keep shipping cost down for everyone but more so for those outside the continental U.S. OF A.
also it allow it to fit in other vehicles than just the Fiero..
kit car owners, or those with t/a dashes or other, if you want to list the space where the sub would go.. if your set up made the space smaller or larger.., it will help making it possibly use able in those apps also..