Started on: 09-13-2014 04:27 PM
Replies: 7 (249 views)
Last post by: mental floss on 09-14-2014 12:05 PM
Threedog

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2014 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreedogSend a Private Message to ThreedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
96 3800 into a 86 Fiero.
I can get it to crank, but the engine will not start. Assuming the wiring is correct, what could cause this?
I know the CPU is getting power(it is resetting the IAC each time you turn it off).
Fuel pressure seems good(fuel would flow heavily out of the lines when they were disconnected).
The vacuum lines are not hooked up and the the coil pack has been moved.
I know it is a long shot, but how do I trouble shoot this w/o a OBD2 Hookup?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2014 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
did you use a fuel pressure gauge and see what you had or just assuming you have fuel pressure did you look to see if you are getting spark or assuming that the plugs are firing you must check these things first just because the fuel pump is working doesn't mean the fuel pressure regulator is working
Threedog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2014 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreedogSend a Private Message to ThreedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by engine man:

did you use a fuel pressure gauge and see what you had or just assuming you have fuel pressure did you look to see if you are getting spark or assuming that the plugs are firing you must check these things first just because the fuel pump is working doesn't mean the fuel pressure regulator is working

Pardon the dumb question, but how to I check those things?
engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2014 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
simple way to check the spark is take a spark plug and hook the plug wire up to it lay it on a metal part of the engine and have some one crank it over while you look at the plug to see if it is sparking as for the fuel pressure you will need a fuel pressure gauge and hook it up to the schrader valve then turn on the key and see what you have for fuel pressure i am not sure what it needs to be for that engine . oh by the way the only dumb question is the one not asked no one know every thing

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 09-13-2014).]

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2014 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does it fire on starting fluid?
Threedog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2014 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreedogSend a Private Message to ThreedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by engine man:

simple way to check the spark is take a spark plug and hook the plug wire up to it lay it on a metal part of the engine and have some one crank it over while you look at the plug to see if it is sparking as for the fuel pressure you will need a fuel pressure gauge and hook it up to the schrader valve then turn on the key and see what you have for fuel pressure i am not sure what it needs to be for that engine . oh by the way the only dumb question is the one not asked no one know every thing

Thanks a ton! Will try this.

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

Does it fire on starting fluid?

This honestly scares the **** out of me. You want me to squeeze some starter fluid into the Air Intake? If so, under how much throttle?

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2014 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Open the throttle blade - Squirt the starting fluid into the intake 1-2 seconds worth. Release the throttle. Then crank it and see if it starts.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 09-14-2014).]

mental floss

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-14-2014 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mental flossSend a Private Message to mental flossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I usually just start with quick blast to see if it will fire up. I'm a bit scared of long blasts into the TB.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock