how to test fuel gauge not the sending unit by crashmydaytona
Started on: 09-13-2014 01:19 PM
Replies: 4 (695 views)
Last post by: cmechmann on 09-13-2014 02:26 PM
crashmydaytona

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2014 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashmydaytonaSend a Private Message to crashmydaytonaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My fuel gauge has always read between 1/4 and 1/2 tank if i move the needle to full turn the key on it just floats back down and stays. If i unplug the the sending unit nothing happens. The fuel sending unit is set to 2-87 so i think the problem is the gauge itself. Is there any way to test the fuel gauge.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2014 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Attach a 90 ohm resistor to ground on the wire and see if the gauge reads full. Next ground the wire and see if the gauge reads zero.

crashmydaytona

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2014 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crashmydaytonaSend a Private Message to crashmydaytonaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where might i find a 90 ohm resistor?
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2014 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Buy two of these packs - http://www.radioshack.com/p...lterValue=RadioShack

And put 9 of them together inline to get exactly 90 ohms

You could also get one of these http://www.radioshack.com/p...sp?productId=2062315 - 100 ohms and expect the gauge to read just a little past full when using one of them for testing.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 09-13-2014).]

cmechmann

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2014 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Radio Shack. But a 100 ohm will be easier to find and close enough to check, Not accurate, but enough to check. If you use a 0-100 ohm variable/pot, you can sweep the gauge through it's whole movement.
I have seen problems with the float not grounding. The unit will test ok, but the wire/rod that the float is on will lose its ground at the pivot point. If you tighten them too much, they won't move right, and too loose they lose ground. Normally when the sending unit housing holes for the rod get worn. You can attach a flexable/braided wire from the metal unit body, to the float rod in a pinch.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock