Broken head bolt removal by pop
Started on: 09-10-2014 06:06 PM
Replies: 8 (311 views)
Last post by: tebailey on 09-16-2014 06:15 PM
pop

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2014 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for popSend a Private Message to popEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Advice please for removing one broken head bolt from 2.8! The bolt was partially broken which caused a head gasket leak OR vice versa. So in the process of pulling the heads that one bolt snapped at app. 60 or 70 pounds.

Below block surface, of course, app 3/8".

Thanks for your help!!
Craig

P.S. I do NOT have access to a Magnetic base drill press. Can't afford to buy one for one bolt.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2014 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Left hand drill bits. Make sure you get a good center and start small work your way up to bigger bits. Most times the bit will catch and walk the broken bolt out. If not then you can use an extractor to pull the bolt.
PS And make sure you soak it down good with penetrating oil a day before you start.

[This message has been edited by tebailey (edited 09-10-2014).]

pop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2014 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for popSend a Private Message to popEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tebailey , Thanks for the tips! I had not thought about left hand bits.
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2014 04:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
start with a small drill bit in the center.
then slowly work your way up to larger bits.
you will most likely need to use an extractor.
left hand drill bits have their place, but only work on things with clean threads because you are using a high speed drill.
take your time.

good luck.
pop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2014 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for popSend a Private Message to popEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Buddycraigg, thanks for the input!
cmechmann

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2014 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, agree with the left hand bits.
Yes center punch them. GOT TO KEEP IT CENTER AND STRAIGHT.
Make sure you are square/straight.
Don't use cheap, dull bits. Normally that's the make or break it step.
Use a drill you can slow down. You want to be able to stop if you start to feel it bind. Almost impossible to drill out a broken bit or extractor.
Carefully try to drill all the way through the bolt. You can then spray penetrant into the bottom the the hole. Which will also help break down sealer and loctite that might be on the bolt.
Rather than an extractor, use a torx/star bit that is slightly larger than the drilled hole, that you tap down into it. The extractors can cause the broken bolt to expand/swell in the hole causing them to bind up. The torx bit will cut grooves in the bolt when you tap it down and are less likely to break. Tapping down also helps break up rust in the hole.
pop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2014 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for popSend a Private Message to popEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
cmechmann, thanks, appreciate your help!
DimeMachine

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2014 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Being as how this is in the block, I thought I would throw in caution. If you end up breaking a drill bits and ez outs in the broken stud... it can be incredibly difficult to remove. If you are not really good at doing this, I would bring it to a machine shop. Those guys have a lot of experience removing broken studs. I view myself as experienced but must admit engine machine shop guys know their stuff and it would not cost much.

Good luck to you.

------------------
84/87 NB, 3800SC, E-85, VS Cam, 2.8 Pulley, 4T65E-HD, HP Tuners, AEM Wideband, Regal GS Gauges, S-10 Brake Booster. 1/4 mile -11.85 at 114mph

tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2014 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If your not comfortable drilling out the broken bolt then I would suggest to take it to a machine shop. I used to rebuild a lot of 40+yr old engines, so I've had a lot of practice getting out broken head bolts. Don't take a chance of ruining your block, if you don't think you can get it out a few bucks spent at the machine shop would be well spent. You could also have them check the block while it's there also.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock