ICM problems...again by crazyred84
Started on: 09-09-2014 12:24 AM
Replies: 7 (204 views)
Last post by: sardonyx247 on 09-10-2014 02:56 AM
crazyred84

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2014 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crazyred84Send a Private Message to crazyred84Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After chasing down a bad ICM two months ago I had another one die again on me tonight. Was going down the road fine, car stalled and wouldn't start again. Tach does not raise to the ~500 rpm it should. Gonna go pick up one in the morning from Autozone (had to leave my car at work).

The 4 years I've owned/driven the car I've never had an ICM go bad. What happened? Did I get a bad one or is something else killing them? Guess I'm gonna carry a spare one on me like everyone else does!

Thanks,
CrazyRed84
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 443
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2014 03:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Did you use proper heat sink compound under the ICM... and not dielectric grease?
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2014 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageClick Here to Email phonedawgzSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ia your pick up coil good?

High secondary resistance will cause your ignition coil's insulation to fail, which will cause your ICM to fail.

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 550
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2014 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
HEI?
Many things can kill ICM but most owners just think Bad ICM and never fix the root cause. Is why many keep extra ICM all the time.
example: Using "hot" aftermarket coils often kills ICM and rotors/caps.

See my Cave, HE Ignition

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 09-09-2014).]

crazyred84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2014 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crazyred84Send a Private Message to crazyred84Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I may have used dielectric grease

Wasnt sure what the manual was talking about and when I asked at the autoparts store that's what they gave me. Didn't think anything of it.

Should I just use regular Thermal compound for computer hardware? Pretty sure I picked some up from Radioshack a bit ago.

Thanks,
CrazyRed84
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 550
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2014 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes, that will help. But still have other problems then new ICM just take longer to die.
crazyred84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2014 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crazyred84Send a Private Message to crazyred84Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ogre, Such as? The plugs, wires and coil are new from my last problems with my ignition a few months ago.

Thanks,
CrazyRed84
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2014 02:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageClick Here to Email sardonyx247Send a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
use thermal compound, just a thin layer IE put some on press it to the distrib, add some to any blank spots. make sure the screws holding are tight as one of the screws is a ground. ICMs fail, it is what it is, thus why we all carry a spare. Have AZ test the new one, like 8 times to heat it up, I have had new ones out of the box be bad.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock