Higher RPM Tachometer by edfiero
Started on: 09-08-2014 08:17 AM
Replies: 10 (357 views)
Last post by: Chelo Fiero on 09-09-2014 04:15 PM
edfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2014 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm looking for a Stock looking tach that will read to at least 7k , 8k would be better.

I saw a thread in the archives, where a guy asked a similar question, but the only response was one from Sunbird Turbo.

Are there any other options? That tach doesn't seem very plentiful and there was a lot of mods to get it to work.
It seems that a V6 Firebird from the Mid 80's might be roughly the same size, or one from a Monte Carlo SS.

Has anyone found something that fits without to much cutting up of the guage cluster?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2014 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Re-calibrate and relabel the stock tach.
edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2014 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

Re-calibrate and relabel the stock tach.

Ok, that's an interesting (and possibly cheaper) option. Can you point me to a thread that explains this procedure? Assuming the recalibrate isn't too difficult, where would I get the stock looking graphics to relabel it?
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

BillS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2014 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BillSSend a Private Message to BillSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What on Earth for? Just for bragging rights even though the engine can't run up there? Seems an odd way to spend money, but to each his own.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2014 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BillS:

What on Earth for? Just for bragging rights even though the engine can't run up there? Seems an odd way to spend money, but to each his own.

Depends on what engine you have...
I shift my LS4/F40 Fiero at 7K (HP peak at 6800 rpm) and have the rev limit set at 7200. Currently I shift as the needle hits the "R" on the V6 tach and would love to have a stock looking tack that read to 8K.

The 3.4 TDC Fieros have the same issue.
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2014 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Depends on what engine you have...
I shift my LS4/F40 Fiero at 7K (HP peak at 6800 rpm) and have the rev limit set at 7200. Currently I shift as the needle hits the "R" on the V6 tach and would love to have a stock looking tack that read to 8K.

The 3.4 TDC Fieros have the same issue.

and properly setup 3800's.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
10.91@133.1

edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2014 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fiero guru is spot on, I'm doing an engine swap.
edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2014 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by phonedawgz:

http://www.fieros.de/en/articles/tach.html

----
http://www.speedhut.com/gau...x5lqlR8EIxoCcwDw_wcB
http://www.blackcatcustom.com/
http://www.label-aid.com/co...2pqf9bYT7RoCbmTw_wcB[/Q UOTE]

Speedhut looks like they primarily sell NEW gauges for big bucks. They do have one overlay for the Fiero, but it does not look anything like the stock look I am going for.
Blackcatcustom looked very promising....So I contacted them, and they responded quickly and said they don't do anything for Fieros.
Label-aid appears to be an industrial supplier. I didn't see any examples of one off, auto gauges.

I like the idea of recalibrating the existing gauge, but I don't think I can create the wheel if someone hasn't already done this.

[This message has been edited by edfiero (edited 09-09-2014).]

hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2014 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
there was a thread on a 3.4TDC (dohc) swap someone did where they found gauges that fit into the factory spots, and worked with factory wiring... ill try and find the thread later.
Chelo Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2014 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chelo FieroClick Here to visit Chelo Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Chelo FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am currently working on a 3.4 dohc project and used the whole assembly of gages from the Z34.. i will
try to post some pics later
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock