3800 old to new by Toomanycars
Started on: 09-07-2014 11:16 AM
Replies: 9 (689 views)
Last post by: MulletproofMonk on 09-10-2014 08:56 PM
Toomanycars

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2014 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ToomanycarsSend a Private Message to ToomanycarsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok heres the rundown .. I bought a 84 that has a late 80s 3800 out of a Buick century ..

So with that being said I have a friend that has/had a 00 gtp the car was totaled in a rear end hit .. He has the motor tranny ecm ect ect ..

So my question to everyone and anyone is how close are these motors . what will I have to change if I decide to buy the stuff and swap in this combo..
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Toomanycars

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2014 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToomanycarsSend a Private Message to ToomanycarsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
any body .....
MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2014 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You are starting from scratch.

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread
Removing the roof panel
My HUD install thread
Modified stock air canister and base to 3.5 inch for 3800na

Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but … after a shooting, the problem is the gun?

zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2014 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can't give you personal experience but I can give you some specs and info.

Assuming your engine is an LG7 (which is actually a 3300, came in Buick century from 89-93. It produces 160HP and 185 lb of torque.

As far as the 2000 GTP your friend has is a very different engine. This is considered the L67 (assuming it's the super charged version.) It's the most common swap for the fiero and has PLENTY of documentation. No need to provide a link cause you can find these builds all the time.

L67 specs:
240HP
280 lb of torque.

The similarities are few and far between. L67 uses OBD II and the LG7 uses OBD I. The sizes are different as well.

Im assuming someone else will chime in and be able to give you specific things that you will need to change, just figured I'd kinda throw some basics down.

------------------
Every fiero has a story, It's our job to keep that story alive.

[This message has been edited by zzzhuh (edited 09-10-2014).]

Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2014 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Toomanycars:

ok heres the rundown .. I bought a 84 that has a late 80s 3800 out of a Buick century ..

FYI: That isn't a 3300 V6 as another poster mentioned earlier. A 3300 V6 would have "3300" cast into the top of the intake plenum.

What you have pictured there is either a FWD 3.0L Buick V6 or a FWD 3.8L Buick V6 (pre-3800), most likely 1987 model year or older.

So with that being said I have a friend that has/had a 00 gtp the car was totaled in a rear end hit .. He has the motor tranny ecm ect ect ..

So my question to everyone and anyone is how close are these motors . what will I have to change if I decide to buy the stuff and swap in this combo..

Like Mulletproof said earlier, if you want to remove this old 3.0/3.8L engine and replace it with a 2000 GTP's 3800 Series 2 SC and 4T65-E HD combo, you are basically going to be starting from scratch on just about everything. Almost nothing from your existing FWD Buick 3.0/3.8 engine is going to be compatible with a Series 2 or 4T65-E HD.

In short, the engine blocks are different, heads are different, intakes are different, assy belt drive components are different, trans is different, axles will be different, mounts will be different, etc...

-ryan

------------------
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED

Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions & more | www.gmtuners.com

[This message has been edited by Darth Fiero (edited 09-10-2014).]

zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2014 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Darth Fiero:
FYI: That isn't a 3300 V6 as another poster mentioned earlier. A 3300 V6 would have "3300" cast into the top of the intake plenum.

What you have pictured there is either a FWD 3.0L Buick V6 or a FWD 3.8L Buick V6 (pre-3800), most likely 1987 model year or older.

Didn't mean to be misleading, but the Wiki on Buick V6 engines states that 89-93 Buick Centuries had that engine in it. I also found the centuries also had 3.8 FWD LG2/LG3 in them as well. Did a quick search and that seems to be the right engine. Could be wrong though.
Toomanycars

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2014 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToomanycarsSend a Private Message to ToomanycarsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well I can only say what the old owner told me an that was that it was a 3.8 out of a Buick century.. All I'm really looking to find out was if the mounts would be close or if I was to plan on fabing new stuff.
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2014 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zzzhuh:

Didn't mean to be misleading, but the Wiki on Buick V6 engines states that 89-93 Buick Centuries had that engine in it. I also found the centuries also had 3.8 FWD LG2/LG3 in them as well. Did a quick search and that seems to be the right engine. Could be wrong though.

No offence intended. But you can't trust Wiki. Anyone can add or edit information on those websites, thus anything you find on them should be questioned.

But the intake in the picture doesn't lie. ALL 3300 V6's had "3300" cast into the upper plenum using pretty big numbers - which you would certainly see in the picture. 3300 V6's also never got an EGR valve, which this engine in the picture has. 3300's also only got perimeter bolt valve covers, not center bolt valve covers (like is what is on the engine in the pictures).

So what this guy has is either an old Buick FWD 3.0L or 3.8L engine. Completely different animal than a 3300 V6 or even a 3800 Series 1.
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2014 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Darth Fiero

5919 posts
Member since Oct 2002
1984 - 88 Buick Century's were offered with the 3.8L Fuel Injected V6 engines. 8th vin "3" LG2/LG3 RPO.
MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2014 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Darth Fiero:
But the intake in the picture doesn't lie. ALL 3300 V6's had "3300" cast into the upper plenum using pretty big numbers - which you would certainly see in the picture.

This is what Ryan is talking about.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock