First Time Fiero Owner Needs HELP by SterlingChevy
Started on: 09-06-2014 06:43 PM
Replies: 5 (158 views)
Last post by: Raydar on 09-07-2014 12:25 AM
SterlingChevy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2014 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SterlingChevySend a Private Message to SterlingChevyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I recently bought an 88 2.5L auto that had been sit for an unknown number of years and after confirming the fuel pump was good and the fuel lines weren't clogged I tried starting it with no success. So now after a few days of tinkering and testing the conclusion I have come to is that my ECM isn't powering on.

What I know/have done so far:
The blue wire on the injector is not pulseing
It does start when I spray in starter fluid
I have no power at the ALDL connector
My Check Engine Light would turn on when I first got the car home but now it does not

Any help would be great
Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2014 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is at least one ECM fuse in the fuse box. That would be a good place to check. The fuse box is under the left end of the dash. It will swing down if you release the tabs. (Not a requirement, to get to the fuses, but it helps.)
The ECM itself is behind the console, mounted on the rear firewall, between the seats.
I wouldn't be surprised if something got in there (or somewhere in the car) and chewed through some wires.

To remove the console, first remove the clip from the front of the shifter handle. It looks like a big staple. Comes out from the front.
Once that comes off, you can pull the T handle straight up, off of the shifter.
Then remove the two ashtray inserts, and remove the four 7mm hex screws. Lift the shift console up, and off of the shifter. As you are lifting the shift console, there should be two tiny ashtray lamps, plugged into the bottom of the console, as well as a gear indicator lamp. Twist and unplug those sockets from the shift console.
Once that is out, you will see two 7mm hex screws holding the front edge of the rear console section. Remove those screws.
Open the storage compartment between the seats. There will be two more 7mm hex screws in the back of the open compartment. Remove those.
Also remove the two screws that hold the cigarette lighter bracket to the console.
Once those are all removed, you should be able to lift the rear section of the console up and out. Let the lighter assembly fall through the hole as you lift the console out.

------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 09-06-2014).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2014 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ECM uses ECM fuse in fuse "box" AND backup power thru a fuse link next to C500.
See my Cave, Fuse Links notes

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

SterlingChevy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2014 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SterlingChevySend a Private Message to SterlingChevyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for replying so quickly . I checked the fuse with a test light and it has power on each side. To get to the ECM I just have to take off the two bolts behind the glove box, right?
SterlingChevy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2014 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SterlingChevySend a Private Message to SterlingChevyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

SterlingChevy

16 posts
Member since Sep 2014
I also checked the fusible link and had power on both ends.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2014 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SterlingChevy:

Thanks for replying so quickly . I checked the fuse with a test light and it has power on each side. To get to the ECM I just have to take off the two bolts behind the glove box, right?

You pretty much have to take the console out. See above.
It only takes a few minutes.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock