Other V6 exhaust manifolds that fit?? by Idaho Wolverine
Started on: 09-04-2014 11:19 PM
Replies: 9 (1614 views)
Last post by: project34 on 09-25-2014 06:38 PM
Idaho Wolverine

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2014 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Idaho WolverineSend a Private Message to Idaho WolverineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi guys. Are there any other V6 manifolds/headers that will work on our cars? I have access to all sorts of car parts, but not much R&D time to try a bunch of different stuff. Just curious if any front wheel drive cars exhaust headers/manifolds would work for us.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2014 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Idaho Wolverine:

Hi guys. Are there any other V6 manifolds/headers that will work on our cars? I have access to all sorts of car parts, but not much R&D time to try a bunch of different stuff. Just curious if any front wheel drive cars exhaust headers/manifolds would work for us.

nothing "stock"... unfortunately..
Big Paul

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2014 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Big PaulSend a Private Message to Big PaulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Manifolds from the 93-95 camaro 3.4 engine will bolt to the engine and are noticeably larger than the fiero manifolds. I'm not sure if they will hit the transmission or any cables when used in the fiero, but you will have to make an entirely new exhaust if you use them
Idaho Wolverine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2014 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Idaho WolverineSend a Private Message to Idaho WolverineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Paul, winter is coming, and that means down time for the Fiero. I will check the Camaro/Firebird manifolds out. Thanks!
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2014 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think TGP manifolds fit, but there's not much of a performance improvement there.
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2014 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I went through that a few years ago. I ended up buying manifold flanges from a guy on 60*v6 and building headers.
BillS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2014 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BillSSend a Private Message to BillSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't bother. You already have nice tubular exhaust manifolds, they just come kneecapped by GM. Take them off, bore out the ports to gasket size, remove the blockage in the crossover pipe and stick it back together with a bunch more BHP. The Camaro cast iron manifolds are pretty bad - I had them on a core 3.4 I bought and took one look and tossed them in the scrap pile.
Idaho Wolverine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2014 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Idaho WolverineSend a Private Message to Idaho WolverineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Bill. I will pull my stock exhaust, do the welding/reinforcement, port them, then VHT paint them. Thanks!
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2014 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks Bill. I will pull my stock exhaust, do the welding/reinforcement, port them, then VHT paint them. Thanks!

VHt paint still burns on the firewall side. It gets too hot. I did the same and see the results.. The paint did good everywhere else but the firewall side... I'm looking at ceramic coating by jet hot in the future.. I was thinking to wrap them also since I don't drive my fiero in the rain.

[This message has been edited by unboundmo (edited 09-16-2014).]

project34

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2014 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Are there any other V6 manifolds/headers that will work on our cars?

Yes.

"Sprint"-brand headers, which I've had on my Fiero for some time, bolted up just fine to what the 2.8L stock iron exhaust manifolds bolted up to, a 2.8L Fiero engine.

Sprint headers seem to last forever, and without cracking problems, which the stock iron exhaust manifolds sometimes develop.

Sprint headers for the Fiero's 2.8L V6 are available at The Fiero Store (Their single part number, 95727, covers one pair of V6 Sprint exhaust manifolds.) Their cost is not inconsequential (at least not for me): $599 U.S., for one pair of two Sprint headers, exclusive of shipping.

However, the price for these headers, unlike that more typical of other exhaust manifolds/headers, already includes their ceramic-coating, for both under-the-decklid heat management and improved header longevity --- an expense which likely makes less sense if you plan to keep your Fiero for only a relatively short period of time.

In any event, that caveat aside, I'm confident that new Sprints should fit your Fiero's pushrod 2.8L or 3.4L V6 with minimal difficulty, as did the Sprint headers from The Fiero Store which I used initially on my daily driver 2.8L Fiero, and then transferred to the swap of a pushrod 3.4L engine into my Fiero near the end of December of 1996 --- an engine (with those same Sprint headers) which I still have in my daily-driver Fiero.

Good luck to you with your "V6 manifolds/headers" project that you mentioned, Idaho Wolverine.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock