Alternator Overcharging by bishop144
Started on: 09-04-2014 09:30 AM
Replies: 3 (619 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 09-04-2014 01:51 PM
bishop144

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2014 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bishop144Send a Private Message to bishop144Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok here is the situation. We recently replaced the stock alternator in my 87 GT, the replacement is a Delco-Remy remanufactured alternator. The new alternator is doing the same thing as the old, overcharging and therefore frying the battery. We were reading both alternators charging at over 15.4 volts. Within a week of putting the altnernator on the BRAND NEW battery is barely able to start the car and none of the electronics workmwith the engine off. I've been told that the voltage regulator is built into the alternator on GM, so my question is, what else could be causing the alternator to overcharge?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2014 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The old stock alternator, it worked for you for a long time before it started over charging? Or did you purchase this car recently?
bishop144

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2014 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bishop144Send a Private Message to bishop144Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I purchased the car on the last week of July and It was overcharging when I bought it.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2014 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bishop144:

I purchased the car on the last week of July and It was overcharging when I bought it.

I'm thinking the previous owner wired something wrong or there is a shorted out wire or bad ground. Sorry I dont know enough about it to help more, someone more knowledgable will probably chime in.

Here is arelated thread
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...050818-2-062729.html

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 09-04-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock