Rear Cradle Bolts by FieroJosh1993
Started on: 09-03-2014 06:31 PM
Replies: 7 (909 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 09-05-2014 11:57 AM
FieroJosh1993

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJosh1993Send a Private Message to FieroJosh1993Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, so I know this topic has been posted on here a lot, Ive gone thru all the old post about this and have tried everything.

So I have an 87 Gt auto that im doing an engine swap in. I am ready to drop the old engine but the rear cradle bolts are spinning. I took off the rear bumper and can see that the metal plates that hold the nuts for the bolts are rusted to the point where the bolts just spin the whole plate. I have tried to get a wrench on the nut but there are no wrench sizes in Metric or Standard that fit just right. I cant get vise grips in there eithe ( to small of frame area )

So im at a lose as to what to do? Can someone give me any tips or ideas as to get past this issue. I already order the Rodney replacement plates.

Thanks guys
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was in the same situation you are in. What i did, was take my mini grinder with cutoff wheel and grind a flap in the side of the frame rail where those nuts are. I folded the flap up and clamped a GOOD set of real VISE GRIPS on the nut and soaked the exposed bolt threads with a good quaility penetrating fluid. I think if i remember right, I had to heat them as well with a propane torch to get them to start. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2014 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
rodney Dickman sell a cool little part to do that very fix

[This message has been edited by revin (edited 09-04-2014).]

85GT_3800SC

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2014 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85GT_3800SCSend a Private Message to 85GT_3800SCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just another option.If you remove the rear bumper, you can fit a "plumber's wrench" down inside the frame rail to hold the nut from turning.Soak the nut with penetrating oil of some sort for a while before trying to remove the bolt.I used this method after learning of it here on the forum and it did the trick.
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2014 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85GT_3800SC:

Just another option.If you remove the rear bumper, you can fit a "plumber's wrench" down inside the frame rail to hold the nut from turning.Soak the nut with penetrating oil of some sort for a while before trying to remove the bolt.I used this method after learning of it here on the forum and it did the trick.

Definitely the way to go if you have the time and you don't want extra holes in your cradle!

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2014 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85GT_3800SC:

Just another option.If you remove the rear bumper, you can fit a "plumber's wrench" down inside the frame rail ...

Pipe wrench.

I also see that one can spray the inside of the frame area down (where the "nut" is) with a penetrant like PB blaster through those oval "crumple zone" holes in the frame to the left (rear of car) in fieroaddicted's pic, before trying to loosen the bolts without removing the rear bumper. I recommend days before.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 09-04-2014).]

FieroJosh1993

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2014 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJosh1993Send a Private Message to FieroJosh1993Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
just got home from work gonna give it a shot now. will let u know how it goes. thanks guys.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2014 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have used a faucet wrench with great results. You remove the rear facia (an easy 20 minute job) then go into each frame, hold the nut with the one way faucet wrench, and turn the bolts from below, preferably with an impact wrench. Works every time but just make sure that you have a support jack under the cradle.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock