Determining which alternator is right for my 2.5 by perceptionist
Started on: 09-03-2014 02:16 PM
Replies: 7 (173 views)
Last post by: fierosound on 07-09-2020 06:33 PM
perceptionist

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for perceptionistSend a Private Message to perceptionistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My alternator has failed or is failing. I was planning on grabbing this 100 amp one from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/ACDel...&keywords=Alternator

Decent price and I understand AC Delco is a good reliable brand to go with. Their vehicle finder says it is a match for fitting my car (1987 Fiero w/2.5).

But my question is, how does one figure out what the appropriate amperage alternator is necessary for a given vehicle?

I think I read somewhere that you add up all of the values in your fuse box and that should give you a rough estimate. If that is the case, my fuse values all add up to 260! That can't mean I need a 260 amp alternator right?

My car's electrical demands are pretty typical and stock for the most part. The only addition was a 100 watt amp for my stereo added like 8 years ago. And I have the standard Fiero Subwoofer with its stock Fiero sub amp.

I'm on a tight budget for a little while so the $70 price tag on the AC Delco was within reach but I would rather not have any regrets, especially considering the pain it is to swap out my alternator with the engine in the car.

I searched the forums and most of the alternator related posts were pertaining to either the 2.8 or engine swap upgrades.

Thanks for any assistance.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That alternator will do just fine.

mike-ohio

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mike-ohioClick Here to visit mike-ohio's HomePageSend a Private Message to mike-ohioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it is an automatic getting out the old alternator is a pain.
I took a bolt off the dogbone and pushed the engine back a bit to wiggle the alternator under the intake to remove it. Watch out for the cooling line to the intake when taking it out this way.
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mike-ohio:

If it is an automatic getting out the old alternator is a pain.
I took a bolt off the dogbone and pushed the engine back a bit to wiggle the alternator under the intake to remove it. Watch out for the cooling line to the intake when taking it out this way.

His car is a 4-cylinder, so changing the alternator will be easy in any case.
Fiero.1984

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2020 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero.1984Send a Private Message to Fiero.1984Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I used your link:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B...hicleType=automotive

It said that this alternator was not for your car. Check it again.

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2020 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rockauto - New AC Delco 100 amp $75.79
https://www.rockauto.com/en...or+/+generator,2412?

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2020 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero.1984:

It said that this alternator was not for your car. Check it again.

That was six years ago! I suspect he's dealt with it.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2020 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

That was six years ago! I suspect he's dealt with it.

LOL.... oops...

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock