Caddy 4.9 Cylinder Seals by BZAnathema
Started on: 09-02-2014 08:04 AM
Replies: 1 (437 views)
Last post by: Fieroseverywhere on 09-02-2014 08:03 PM
BZAnathema

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BZAnathemaSend a Private Message to BZAnathemaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have three bad cylinder liner seals. My Haynes manual says to carefully scribe alignment marks before pulling liners, but I suspect they've been moved from original position already. Can I pull all eight, recondition, hone, and reseal them (I have fresh O-rings) at home, or do I need to go to a machine shop?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can pull and recondition them. Scribing the location is also important. Do it on the outside of the liners inside the water jacket. Just mark the top (inboard side) and cylinder number. The liners are decked as matched sets and installed in a "select fit" process from the factory and need to be put back in the same place and orientation to avoid needing to check every one. I also recommend Hylomar on the new o-rings. This helps quite a bit for sealing future leaks as it stays pliable and wont wash away.

If you mix them up its a pain in the ass to get them back in the right place. It requires a dial indicator or other very accurate measuring device to get back within the .00mm-.08mm tolerance range for height over the cylinder deck. Also liner height can not vary between liners more then .05mm. Any liners below the deck height will cause a head gasket failure. You can use a feeler gauge and good straight edge to check them but there will be some variance because of the o-rings. Other than that its not a problem.

EDIT: Mark the connecting rod caps also to maintain their proper order. Keep connecting rods, pistons, and liners matched. If you maintain placement and orientation no checks are necessary. Per service manual.

[This message has been edited by Fieroseverywhere (edited 09-02-2014).]

IP: Logged

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock