Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Helpful Suggestions & comments welcomed on my 2.8L Fuel Pump replacement.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Helpful Suggestions & comments welcomed on my 2.8L Fuel Pump replacement. by Alex.07.86GT
Started on: 09-01-2014 05:44 PM
Replies: 21 (491 views)
Last post by: Alex.07.86GT on 10-08-2014 11:10 PM
Alex.07.86GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2014 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex.07.86GTSend a Private Message to Alex.07.86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey everybody! I hope your all enjoying your Labor Day Plans!
My plan for today was to remove my fuel pump!
so --- Finally I put mind to get this car repaired! I'v been working on it a few hrs here & there. Its been laid up quite a while with a bad pump! I checked all the electrical and was still hoping it was a bad wire. but it wasnt!
Ive changed fuel pumps before, but is there anything unique to the Fiero that I need to know before replacing it?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2014 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
THAT came out of your tank? Nothing special to replace it but make sure to clean out your tank or have it coated before you reinstall the new pump. That pump looks like hell.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 09-01-2014).]

NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2014 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
^^ +1 - I wouldn't want my gas anywhere near where that thing was! ^^
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2014 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had to replace fuel pumps in both my 2.5 and 2.8. I used the Bosch pump in both and have been very happy with it. Don't do what I did on my V6, I connected the positive wire to the negative terminal on the pump, it pumped backwards so I had to drop the tank again. Good luck
Alex.07.86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2014 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex.07.86GTSend a Private Message to Alex.07.86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

THAT came out of your tank? Nothing special to replace it but make sure to clean out your tank or have it coated before you reinstall the new pump. That pump looks like hell.

What should I use to clean the tank? Brake Cleaner???
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2014 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I took mine to a radiator shop and they steam cleaned and coated it inside and out for $75
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2014 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

I took mine to a radiator shop and they steam cleaned and coated it inside and out for $75

I agree you can do that or buy a sealer kit like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/POR-1...fuel+tank+repair+kit
And just FYI from the link above:

Q: Can somebody tell me how much of this I will need to seal a 20 gallon tank? Will a quart do?
A: Yep, one quart was more than enough for mine. Once you open it, you've got to use it all in one shot. The humidity in the air causes it to cure just from the exposure it gets from sloshing the tank.

Either way, you have to remove any sediment and rust before the new pump or it will just fail again.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 09-01-2014).]

Alex.07.86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex.07.86GTSend a Private Message to Alex.07.86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank You for your recommendations!

what would you recommend for the outside finish on the tank as it has some rust dots (outside only). After I remove the rust what should I use to protect the outside while also making it loook good?
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can clean out sludge and grease with a cleaner called Awesome. Its available at Dollar Tree stores in 24 oz bottles. The liquid is water based but I have never used a grease/sludge remover as good as this. Pour it full strength into the empty gas tank, put in a long piece of plastic chain, slosh it around, let it sit for a while, take out the chain and then thoroughly hose it out. Blow it out with a leaf bloweri, stand it on the end with the filler end down and let the tank dry overnight. If the inside is badly rusted then you can put in gas tank sealer and slosh that around, but be careful to use a sealer that is gas and alcohol resistant.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Alex.07.86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex.07.86GTSend a Private Message to Alex.07.86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

THAT came out of your tank?

Yea, looks like i left a lot of fuel in the tank. The fuel never evaporated even after 20 years in storage.
Umm the baby arrived early and things got real busy!!!
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum, AND congrats on the baby.

That is one nasty-looking pump.

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-02-2014).]

PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow a Fiero that runs on unfiltered Folgers coffee!?

Remember to change the fuel filter too.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 09-02-2014).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex.07.86GT:

Yea, looks like i left a lot of fuel in the tank. The fuel never evaporated even after 20 years in storage.
Umm the baby arrived early and things got real busy!!!

Is your "baby" now 20 years old? If so, get him/her to clean that tank out.

Wow, that's a real mess. I've changed pumps in four Fiero gas tanks now, including ones that have sat for close to ten years, and none of them looked anything like yours!
shurlbert

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shurlbertSend a Private Message to shurlbertEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Alex,
You're new to the forum like myself. Looks like you are in the same position that I was in 3 1/2 years ago (restoring a fiero after it sat since roughly 1992). The very first thing I did is what you are doing with the gas tank. All the previous comments have been right on; all acceptable, but different ways to accomplish your task.

I have discovered a few things that I want to warn you about, Mostly regarding the cooling system. If your car has been sitting without being run for an extended period of time, expect your freeze plugs to be rusted out, or on the verge of failing. I got my car going long enough to get it smogged and licensed, and then the freeze plugs let loose and I lost all my coolant. The only way to replace them is to drop the engine, as three of the freeze plugs are on the block behind the flywheel. If the car is not started periodically, over the years the water will separate out of the coolant and rust certain parts; freeze plugs and coolant lines.

I am to the point now where I just about have all the issues fixed, and have enjoyed the hands-on experience. Oh, the car?...it is amazing to drive and worth all the effort in restoring it. Have fun!
Alex.07.86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex.07.86GTSend a Private Message to Alex.07.86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by shurlbert:

Hi Alex,
You're new to the forum like myself. Looks like you are in the same position that I was in 3 1/2 years ago (restoring a fiero after it sat since roughly 1992). The very first thing I did is what you are doing with the gas tank. All the previous comments have been right on; all acceptable, but different ways to accomplish your task.

I have discovered a few things that I want to warn you about, Mostly regarding the cooling system. If your car has been sitting without being run for an extended period of time, expect your freeze plugs to be rusted out, or on the verge of failing. I got my car going long enough to get it smogged and licensed, and then the freeze plugs let loose and I lost all my coolant. The only way to replace them is to drop the engine, as three of the freeze plugs are on the block behind the flywheel. If the car is not started periodically, over the years the water will separate out of the coolant and rust certain parts; freeze plugs and coolant lines.

I am to the point now where I just about have all the issues fixed, and have enjoyed the hands-on experience. Oh, the car?...it is amazing to drive and worth all the effort in restoring it. Have fun!

Thank You and YES! I was wondering if the engine & pipes will still hold water under pressure. Ill have to check that later. You wont believe me but the car has less than 14k miles on it. I'm the original owner and really used to love this car & use to give give it anything it needed. Its was a real stand out as people didnt really know what it was. Then they saw the big PONTIAC lights in the back. oh! and it runs great with the fuel pump dead - I got it going with Starter Fluid or by pouring gas down the vacuum line so I'm real thrilled with that old sound being back!

[This message has been edited by Alex.07.86GT (edited 09-03-2014).]

Alex.07.86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex.07.86GTSend a Private Message to Alex.07.86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Alex.07.86GT

248 posts
Member since Aug 2014

Originally posted by 2.5:

Wow a Fiero that runs on unfiltered Folgers coffee!?

Remember to change the fuel filter too.

lol I think it last ran in 1989 when the tank was still clean. ubt yea all the filters will be changed.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex.07.86GT:

You wont believe me but the car has less than 14k miles on it. I'm the original owner and really used to love this car & use to give give it anything it needed. ...- I got it going with Starter Fluid or by pouring gas down the vacuum line so I'm real thrilled with that old sound being back!

Thats awesome, it does sound exciting.
Back from the dead!
Alex.07.86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex.07.86GTSend a Private Message to Alex.07.86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Thats awesome, it does sound exciting.
Back from the dead!

The brake pads among other things are the original parts! The pads are as thick as a US Quarter now. The brake fluid looked like dirty water. Lets see if the calipers will come back with some elbow grease. BTW i knew I needed new brake pads back in the 80's. I kept on bending the squeakers to keep the ride quiet. -but sine they wore out so quickly I was expecting them to be covered under warranty as a defect. But they said no! lol I pulled out of that dealership really fast! I woke up early for nothing!! :O
Alex.07.86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2014 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex.07.86GTSend a Private Message to Alex.07.86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

You can clean out sludge and grease with a cleaner called Awesome. Its available at Dollar Tree stores in 24 oz bottles. The liquid is water based but I have never used a grease/sludge remover as good as this. Pour it full strength into the empty gas tank, put in a long piece of plastic chain, slosh it around, let it sit for a while, take out the chain and then thoroughly hose it out. Blow it out with a leaf bloweri, stand it on the end with the filler end down and let the tank dry overnight. If the inside is badly rusted then you can put in gas tank sealer and slosh that around, but be careful to use a sealer that is gas and alcohol resistant.

YES! THANK YOU! THAT WAS AWESOME!! @ 3 BOTTLES FOR $3

I used 3 $1 bottles called "awesome" It was asesome!!! The tank is clean now, but there is a light amount of rust coating the inside, Like the rust that forms on new metal. Do I really need to coat the inside with POR15 or is it just an option $$$? Im only thinking that everybody else is driving around without POR15 maybe it just normal for the inside of the Gas tank to have a slight rust coating in it. ??? what do u think?

[This message has been edited by Alex.07.86GT (edited 09-08-2014).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2014 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really depends how rusty. I dont suppose you can get a clear flash photo of inside the tank. If it is indeed like the rust that froms on new matal I'd say you dont need to.
You could run Marvel Mystery oil in the gas a few times which is said to combat rust.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2014 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It isn't normal to have the rust coating. When I took the tank out of my 85 2M4 it was like yours. When I took the tank out of my 85 GT it still had the grayish coating put on by the factory and no rust. As much as a pain it is to drop a tank I would coat it with something and make sure you get the coating behind the baffle area too.
PFF
System Bot
Alex.07.86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2014 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex.07.86GTSend a Private Message to Alex.07.86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what looked like rust was just a stain. It washed out and now I can see the internal tank surface color.

I couldnt save the fuel sender so I bought the $18 90ohm sensor from Summit 90 ohm

I lined up the pivot point of the new one to the old one and was able to use a short lever to match the overall length of the original one. So far so good! I forgot to take a picture though.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock