Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  3800 Swap, engine cranks but won't start.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
3800 Swap, engine cranks but won't start. by Threedog
Started on: 09-01-2014 05:35 PM
Replies: 3 (411 views)
Last post by: Threedog on 09-02-2014 09:58 AM
Threedog

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2014 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreedogSend a Private Message to ThreedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What are all of the possible explanations so I can trouble shoot them?

Engine will crank, but not start.

Info:
3800 N/A from a 1996 Buick regal 4-speed manual
reprogrammed ECU(from Timm)
Self done wiring harness, followed the gm tuners page very closely. http://www.gmtuners.com/fil...PCM_Fiero_wiring.pdf

-Spark plugs seem dry when I take them out
-There was enough fuel pressure to separate some of the lines on first turn on.
-Vacuum lines are not completely on(would that prevent it from starting?)

The engine ran fine before the swap. I wont be able to see the car again until Saturday, but I plan to spend the day trouble shooting.

If people could fire out ideas for any cause of crank/nostart so I can try as many as possible that would be much appreciated!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2014 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Start with squirting some fuel into the intake and seeing if the engine fires. It should. The ignition will run even with the PCM unplugged.

Any chance you have a OBD2 scanner there and can determine if the PCM is getting power and functioning?

Have someone listen to the IAC when you turn the key off. Does it make noises when you turn it off (not always but most of the times). The PCM will reset the position of the IAC when the key is turned off, specially if it is the first key off after re-connecting the battery. That can be an indication that your PCM is getting power or not and is working.

Fuel pressure ok?
Threedog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2014 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreedogSend a Private Message to ThreedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unfortunately I can not see the car until Saturday.

I have the two connections for the the PCU, one from the c203 connector and one from the the post under the c500 connector. I used the "cpu reset plug" wire from the fiero to get power to the computer from the post.

One thing that might be affecting it is that the c500 connector and posts are rusted off the body, and attached only by the wires and fabric. I found that in order to get full power to the car, I must press the c500 connector up against the wall(I assume to ground it). Could that screw up the computer and cause it to not run?
Threedog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreedogSend a Private Message to ThreedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fuel was streaming out and disconnected a line, so I assume the pressure is good.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock