Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  V6 runs like there is water in the fuel (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
V6 runs like there is water in the fuel by shurlbert
Started on: 09-01-2014 03:44 PM
Replies: 49 (1127 views)
Last post by: tshark on 10-03-2014 07:43 AM
shurlbert

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2014 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shurlbertSend a Private Message to shurlbertEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
phonedawgz...It happens when I floor it. It gets worse the more I drive it. By the time I have gone approximately three to four miles, I have slowed to first gear with my foot just barely on the throttle in order to keep moving. I give it a little gas and it dies. I stop and turn the car off, then back on, and the condition improves slightly allowing me to limp home, or a little farther until I have to turn the car off again. It only happens when I am in gear (four speed standard). While sitting in neutral and reving the engine the car is fine.
IP: Logged
Lou and Blue

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2014 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a problem with my 85 v6 stock engine that it would cut out while accelerating and it turned out to be a bad Throttle Position Sensor. $60 at autozone and no prob since.

------------------
===Always trying to find time to work on cars===
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
Stock V6---Stock everything. Trying to keep it 'mostly' that way. But I just got the 3800sc to swap into it!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Boo" <= '81 Delorean DMC-12
VIN #5835
"Don't hate ... Carburate!"
Stock PRV engine
Robertson Equipped
Neiland/Delman Engineered
Peugot 604 Intake manifold
Exhaust headers
Anti-3rd brake light

shurlbert

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2014 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for shurlbertSend a Private Message to shurlbertEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Correction to previous post: the car dies when I rev the engine in nuetral. It doesn't do it right away. It takes a few revs.

I replaced the plug wires and had no change.

The car sounds and runs beautifully until I step on the throttle. Starting to think that the catalytic converter is pluging up.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2014 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you ever looked at the fuel pressure while the trouble is occurring?

A plugged cat normally changes the exhaust note and sounds like wheezing. If you have a plugged cat, pulling the O2 sensor out will improve the response of the engine greatly.
shurlbert

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2014 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shurlbertSend a Private Message to shurlbertEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As suggested, I'm going to continue to focus on the ignition system, but first I'm going to take a detour and check the cat. I'll try unplugging the oxy sensor and see what happens. I'll also check temperature before and after the cat, to see if there is a difference. It seems like an easy thing to do before I continue to throw money after parts.
shurlbert

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2014 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shurlbertSend a Private Message to shurlbertEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

shurlbert

64 posts
Member since Feb 2014
I just hooked up the fuel gauge and took the car for a spin. The fuel gauge was at about 36 PSI while idling, and varied only one to two PSI while reving. As soon as I was under way and put the the peddle down, the PSI dropped to zero and I stalled. PSI recovered to 36 as I let the car idle. The process repeated itself multiple times on the way home.
shurlbert

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2014 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shurlbertSend a Private Message to shurlbertEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

shurlbert

64 posts
Member since Feb 2014
I just hooked up the fuel gauge and took the car for a spin. The fuel gauge was at about 36 PSI while idling, and varied only one to two PSI while reving. As soon as I was under way and put the the peddle down, the PSI dropped to zero and I stalled. PSI recovered to 36 as I let the car idle. The process repeated itself multiple times on the way home.

Sorry for the double post. I don't know how I did that.

[This message has been edited by shurlbert (edited 09-25-2014).]

hiwil88formula

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2014 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hiwil88formulaSend a Private Message to hiwil88formulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Time for a new fuel pump.
shurlbert

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2014 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for shurlbertSend a Private Message to shurlbertEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Problem fixed!!!! Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

I replaced the fuel pump and eliminated the pulsator. I replaced the pulsator with a piece of fuel immersable hose as suggested on other forums. I suspected that the pulsator was the problem, but replaced the pump at the same time to cover my bases. Anyway, the car runs great now.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2014 07:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad it's working, and thanks for posting the result.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock