thermostat house interfers with boost bypass actuator by Charlie1963
Started on: 08-29-2014 07:50 PM
Replies: 11 (490 views)
Last post by: Lou6t4gto on 05-19-2019 02:14 PM
Charlie1963

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2014 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie1963Send a Private Message to Charlie1963Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Working on my 3800 swap modifying a stock v6 thermostat housing. I cut out the section with the small hose bibs and now trying to determine the correct orientation of the flange holes with the large coolant hose before welding the pieces back together. The problem is the boost bypass actuator vacuum line fitting is hitting the tstat housing.

I want to keep the bypass so is it possible to move the bypass actuator maybe by modifying the bracket? It would need to move about an inch maybe a little more to be out of the way.

The ECU has already been programmed to keep the bypass but how would the engine run if I remove the bypass without getting the program changed?

thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Tweeder

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2014 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just used the thermostat housing that came on the 3800 and added a fill point there and the other end attaches to the fiero coolant system.

------------------
86 SE Convertible 3800sc 4t65e HD.

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2014 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've always used the 3800 t-stat housing with no issues.....fill the block, install the t-stat and housing and the hose. Use the bleeder to burp air from system and keep the coolant tank full....

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 08-29-2014).]

Charlie1963

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2014 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie1963Send a Private Message to Charlie1963Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the responses. I like the Fiero tstat housing for the ease of getting to the thermostat. Since I've already got the housing cut and ready to weld I'm going to try to move the boost valve out of the way by modifying it's bracket.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2014 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll be watching This. I've got a 2.8 housing ready to cut, but was Also wondering about the By pass valve.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2014 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is possible to cut and re-weld the thermostat housing to fit but keeping the BBV actuator in place requires very careful modifications. You can use the stock 3800 thermostat housing as Joe has said but you will need a high fill point to pour in the coolant . An easy solution is to use a Moroso inline fill housing with a 25lb cap. IMO, the fill cap or the Fiero housing is important if the engine requires adding coolant.
You can also run using a modified Fiero thermostat housing w/o the BBV actuator but the supercharger will make slightly more noise and you will lose maybe .5-1 mpg of gas mileage. I have run my 3800SC without the BBV for three years with no harmful effects. There are those here who will disagree but a pinned BBV works on this end.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Charlie1963

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2014 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie1963Send a Private Message to Charlie1963Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

It is possible to cut and re-weld the thermostat housing to fit but keeping the BBV actuator in place requires very careful modifications. You can use the stock 3800 thermostat housing as Joe has said but you will need a high fill point to pour in the coolant . An easy solution is to use a Moroso inline fill housing with a 25lb cap. IMO, the fill cap or the Fiero housing is important if the engine requires adding coolant.
You can also run using a modified Fiero thermostat housing w/o the BBV actuator but the supercharger will make slightly more noise and you will lose maybe .5-1 mpg of gas mileage. I have run my 3800SC without the BBV for three years with no harmful effects. There are those here who will disagree but a pinned BBV works on this end.

It would appear to be fairly easy to move the bbv solenoid to the left away from the tstat housing by modifying the bracket. Doing so however will change the angle between the linkage and the arm. This will cause the valve to open a little bit less.

It looks like the valve would open about 1/8" - 1/4" less by moving the bbv solenoid. Would this small amount make a difference in the performance of the engine?
Charlie1963

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2014 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Charlie1963Send a Private Message to Charlie1963Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's the modified bracket. I cut off the original mounting holes then made a new part to weld on.

Here it is installed.

Plenty of clearance now between tstat housing.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Charlie1963:

Here's the modified bracket. I cut off the original mounting holes then made a new part to weld on.

Here it is installed.

Creative fabrication. Good work!!!!

Plenty of clearance now between tstat housing.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2019 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
no reason to move it if the thermostat housing is made right. just made 3 of them. look at Ebay. ( 3800 thermostat housing) pictures to show you "orientation"
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2019 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lou6t4gto

8436 posts
Member since May 2008

hope that helps someone
PFF
System Bot
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2019 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lou6t4gto

8436 posts
Member since May 2008
sorry, Guess the "ORIGINAL Question" was how to Move the bypass, oh well.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock