L67 vs. L32 by crazyred84
Started on: 08-29-2014 01:29 AM
Replies: 7 (916 views)
Last post by: hnthomps on 08-30-2014 01:38 PM
crazyred84

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2014 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crazyred84Send a Private Message to crazyred84Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alright guys, It's about the time I start working on my first 3800 swap. The only problem I've had so far is finding an engine for a decent price. I have a lead on a series III supercharged for $500 and a series II for $650. I plan on using an F23 for the swap into my '84, so I know I'll have to swap to a '96-'02 harness/ECU if I use the series III. I also planned on the LQ4 throttle body mod, so the electronic TB on there isn't an issue. What other differences are there in a swap? Engine mounts? Are parts universal? Like, if I am planning on getting parts off of ZZP will they work with both the L67 and L32?

Sorry for the basic questions, I'm fairly new to the 3800 world.

All in all, I guess I'm trying to figure out whether it's worth to save a hundred dollars and and get the series III or go with the series II and not worry about finding a new harness.

Thanks.
CrazyRed84
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post08-29-2014 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Series III is a better engine and has the better blower. So if it's cheaper and undamaged, then I'd say get it.
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2014 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillClick Here to Email WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, go series 3.
crazyred84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2014 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazyred84Send a Private Message to crazyred84Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So Series III it is, now to pick it up next week. Just curious, how many of you guys out there are running a Series III w/ the F23. Or just the Series III in general?

dobey, what makes the Series III so much better. I know they have slightly different heads and the upgraded blower. Is there anything else they changed/added?

Thanks,
CrazyRed84
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2014 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you get the series III You will most likely want to get a series II throttle body ('99+) w/ adapter, wire harness, computer, map sensor.

I use the series III with the F23

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
10.91@133.1

cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 95
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2014 07:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am running a Series III with an F23. It is a nice combo. However, there seems to be no reliable vendor making Engine/Tranny mounts, so you may want to get a mock up cradle and play around with mounting before you pull your own car apart. The stock gearing with the F23 is not great- you may want to spend the extra money and get the internals from a Cobalt (can't remember the year/model), since first gear is pretty much useless and the car does idle a little high on the highway with the standard gearing.

A PFF member here was kind enough to offer to replace my crap mounts this winter with proper ones, and I will post pictures and his progress here, so hopefully it will be of assistance to you. F23 transmissions seem to be plentiful and cheap, and definitely seem to be able to take a beating better than the Getrag. Not much point in doubling the HP of your car but never flooring the gas pedal because you are worried you may break something.......

crazyred84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2014 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazyred84Send a Private Message to crazyred84Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for that info cam-a-lot. I plan on making some power with the swap, so a sturdy transmission is deffinently in order. I'll do some more digging on swapping the F23 internals. As for the mounts, I'd love to see them when you get them on. I also plan on using one of ZZP's intercoolers and was gonna try my hand at mount making. To keep the decklid cutting to a minimum.

Thanks,
CrazyRed84
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2014 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsClick Here to Email hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Obviously the supercharged engine delivers more HP than the NA version. If you want to compare SC Series II with a supercharged Series III engine you get an additional 20 HP in a stock Series III engine (240 vs 260 bone stock). With a few mods (N* TV, VS cam, large inlet/exhaust, 3.4 pulley, an intercooler), and a conservative tune I still get about 300 ft lbs of torque and 300 HP at the wheels (based on dyno run). I am using the stock Getrag five speed transmission and cannot comment on this engine mated with an F23 transmission.

Nelson

[This message has been edited by hnthomps (edited 08-30-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock