will a backfire blow a head gasket by fierofinder
Started on: 08-28-2014 08:23 PM
Replies: 6 (1129 views)
Last post by: dratts on 08-29-2014 07:11 PM
fierofinder

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2014 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofinderSend a Private Message to fierofinderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Like the title says I was curious if a strong back fire might blow a good head gasket. on initial start up I had a couple plug wires backwards and so I got a pretty loud backfire. When I pulled the themostat cap off the coolant was foamy at the top and while it was running the exhaust did seem a little white. Havent had time to do compression check yet to be sure but it worries me. Its a freshly built engine.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroaddicted

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2014 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is it a 4cyl? 2.8? Is it possible you have a head gasket on wrong since this is rebuilt?
fierofinder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2014 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofinderSend a Private Message to fierofinderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its a 3.4 I had running for awhile in the past and put about 1000 miles on it.
fierofinder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2014 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofinderSend a Private Message to fierofinderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
checked compression this morning and that is all good. Probably just got foamy from the air in the system.
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2014 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If possible, i would do a leakdown test. It is your best indicator of any issue. If there was a problem with a gasket, you would see bubbles in the cooling system
troy
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2014 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A direct answer to your headline question is 'NO'. A backfire is heard when fuel ignites with the exhaust ( or intake ) valve open....or ignition outside of the combustion chamber. In both cases the peak pressure will be a LOT lower than normal ignition.....with the valves closed.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 08-29-2014).]

dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2014 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It can open a muffler up though.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock