3800 sc Not As Quick As It Should Be by bomluuk
Started on: 08-27-2014 03:52 PM
Replies: 27 (712 views)
Last post by: Darth Fiero on 09-09-2014 04:22 PM
bomluuk

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2014 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bomluukSend a Private Message to bomluukEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 3800 runs smooth, I feel like is should be quicker than it is. I drove a similar 3800 sc fiero a few years ago and I remember that one being a lot quicker. It takes me about 6.5-7 seconds from 0-60. It is a 5 speed so I would expect mid to high 5s, at the very least low 6s. Am I wrong is this feeling or is there an issue with my car?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2014 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BBV valve is shut?
bomluuk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2014 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bomluukSend a Private Message to bomluukEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

BBV valve is shut?

I used the info on this page, http://www.3800supercharger.net/diagnosing.html, and everything seemed to be ok with the BBV.
Solenoid was retracted at idle, and extended when the vacuum line was removed.
Solenoid was retracted at idle, and extended when the enginve was revved at the throttle body.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2014 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've never seen it "Posted', exactly" How Much BOOST" these superchargers actually create when working correctly. (with stock pulley and with optional pulley) anyone care to comment ?
bomluuk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2014 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bomluukSend a Private Message to bomluukEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

I've never seen it "Posted', exactly" How Much BOOST" these superchargers actually create when working correctly. (with stock pulley and with optional pulley) anyone care to comment ?

All the boost research I've done suggests 10 psi. I also read that for every .1 inch you go down on the pulley is +1 psi.
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2014 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bomluuk:

All the boost research I've done suggests 10 psi. I also read that for every .1 inch you go down on the pulley is +1 psi.

Size matters ...LOL

What size u got? Stock 3.8 pulley on Stock Engine is around ~6 psi.
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2014 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

nosrac

3520 posts
Member since Jan 2005

My 3800 runs smooth, I feel like is should be quicker than it is. I drove a similar 3800 sc fiero a few years ago and I remember that one being a lot quicker. It takes me about 6.5-7 seconds from 0-60. It is a 5 speed so I would expect mid to high 5s, at the very least low 6s. Am I wrong is this feeling or is there an issue with my car?

U scanning for KR? PCM could be pulling timing.
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2014 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nosrac:

U scanning for KR? PCM could be pulling timing.

What this guy said...Post your scans...
bomluuk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2014 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bomluukSend a Private Message to bomluukEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nosrac:

Size matters ...LOL

What size u got? Stock 3.8 pulley on Stock Engine is around ~6 psi.

Yeah its stock, and looks like my research was wrong. That 10 psi must have been with the 3.4 pulley then?

Not sure what you mean by 'post a scan'. Is that assuming that I have a scan tool? The only scan tool I've been using is the Torque App for Android.
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2014 03:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yeah its stock, and looks like my research was wrong. That 10 psi must have been with the 3.4 pulley then?

Not sure what you mean by 'post a scan'. Is that assuming that I have a scan tool? The only scan tool I've been using is the Torque App for Android.

Yes I mean post up scans from a run in the car. U can use Tourquto record them..e

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2014 04:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Timing at WOT? Intake and exhaust setup?

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
10.91@133.1

[This message has been edited by Justinbart (edited 08-28-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
G-Man

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2014 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for G-ManSend a Private Message to G-ManEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just throwing this out there since he said he has a 5-speed. Is there anything special that needs to be done with the wiring to make the PCM think the car is in drive? Doesn't the PCM pull timing and fuel whenever it believes the car is in park/neutral?

Gary
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2014 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by G-Man:

Just throwing this out there since he said he has a 5-speed. Is there anything special that needs to be done with the wiring to make the PCM think the car is in drive? Doesn't the PCM pull timing and fuel whenever it believes the car is in park/neutral?

Gary

No. You have to fool the PCM into thinking it has an automatic to perform a CASE relearn, but the PCM doesn't need any transmission inputs for proper engine performance with a manual trans.

bomluuk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2014 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bomluukSend a Private Message to bomluukEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lets see if this works, or if its even what you guys are looking for. Its a CSV log file of my drive to work this morning.
https://www.amazon.com/clou...8RW8fctfuLWZaA49ZIdQ

I did notice that the KR was always 0, and the OBD2 speed was way low compared to the GPS speed.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2014 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No dice for me..

I use sendspace.com.... its easy.
bomluuk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2014 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bomluukSend a Private Message to bomluukEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

No dice for me..

I use sendspace.com.... its easy.

I'll try that when I get home. I can't access it here at work.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2014 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your throttle only made WOT on one line, the next line it was 98% and beyond that the nearest you made it to WOT was 68%?

Attach a brick to your right foot.
bomluuk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2014 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bomluukSend a Private Message to bomluukEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

Your throttle only made WOT on one line, the next line it was 98% and beyond that the nearest you made it to WOT was 68%?

Attach a brick to your right foot.

Brick applied.
Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/clou...9k9H3jNusofwroX1OuKg

Sendspace:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/nbwebv
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2014 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I find the limiting factor with the 5 speed 3800sc combo is the clutch. If you want a fast 0-60 dash you better launch hard.
bomluuk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2014 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bomluukSend a Private Message to bomluukEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RotrexFiero:

I find the limiting factor with the 5 speed 3800sc combo is the clutch. If you want a fast 0-60 dash you better launch hard.

Any idea what the sweet spot RPM is? I've been launching at about 3 - 3.5k. It's entirely possible that my car is fine and the problem is me.
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2014 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Depends on what kinda tires you have, clutch, and how concerned you are about your tranny.

I went to the raceway. I launched pretty hard, spun the tires, went to second and spun the clutch. I rolled if off the line from there after, and still broke a hundred.

I have 225's on her rear and the engine has more torque then my clutch can stand. It's a centerforce, stronger than stock, but not up to the 3800sc. If you beef up the clutch, have good tires, then your fail point will be the tranny.

I figure I would rather my clutch spin then blow my trans.
PFF
System Bot
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The centerforce I saw on a fiero couldnt hold up to a 2.8 v6 with a bit of nitrous.
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Once engaged it holds pretty good, but the 3800sc can certainly overwhelm it. I'm reluctant to give it up since it is so streetable, and I had only a few hundred miles on it. Also, it is my fail-safe, it that it will blow well before the tranny.
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Brick applied.
Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/clou...9k9H3jNusofwroX1OuKg

Sendspace:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/nbwebv

The scan log in the amazon link doesn't show the engine building any boost.

-ryan

------------------
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED

Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions & more | www.gmtuners.com

bomluuk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2014 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bomluukSend a Private Message to bomluukEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Darth Fiero:

The scan log in the amazon link doesn't show the engine building any boost.

-ryan

I'll have to check my wiring. My obd2 speed is also way wrong.

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2014 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'll have to check my wiring. My obd2 speed is also way wrong.

What reading does it currently show for "boost" with key on, engine off?
bomluuk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2014 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bomluukSend a Private Message to bomluukEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Darth Fiero:

What reading does it currently show for "boost" with key on, engine off?

Shows "no data"
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2014 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Shows "no data"

Well I don't understand why it is showing no data. With the key on and even with the engine not running, you should be getting data. Either something isn't wired up right or your scanner has issues.

We need to know what the computer is saying the MAP sensor pressure is doing with the engine off so we can get a baseline. It SHOULD be 0 psi (or near 100 kpa manifold pressure) with the engine off. If this is indeed what it shows and it won't get into positive boost pressure (or above 100 kpa) when you give it full throttle, then that would tell us your engine isn't making boost.

Of course you could always tee in a boost gauge to the vacuum line you have connected to the lower intake manifold (which should be connected to the MAP sensor and fuel pressure regulator) and read boost pressure that way.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock