5 Speed Getrag Shif Cables by RotrexFiero
Started on: 08-27-2014 08:09 AM
Replies: 14 (366 views)
Last post by: hookdonspeed on 09-04-2014 10:07 AM
RotrexFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2014 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just snapped my shift cable last night and had to ride the whole way home in first gear. I decided to replace both, probably a purchase from the Fiero Store.

Any trick to making these things work better?

I noticed these cables are not just under tensile stress but also compression and so get quite a work out when driving. Especially considering all the shifts they have to endure. I think some of my recent shift problems, trying to get in first gear, is related to the cable. It appears to have rusted on the inside and then the outer core just unraveled and snapped. It was about a foot from tranny shift linkage. Too much heat? Water vapor? Combination?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2014 08:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RotrexFiero:

... I decided to replace both, probably a purchase from the Fiero Store.

Get Dickman's cables. http://rodneydickman.com/ca...th=57&products_id=37

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2014 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Get Dickman's cables. http://rodneydickman.com/ca...th=57&products_id=37

X2

and personally woulda put the car in 2nd manually, still can pull off from a stop good in 2nd, and wouldn't have been limited to liek 20mph :P
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2014 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
X3
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2014 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Get Dickman's cables.

X4
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2014 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
X5
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2014 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
X6

You won't regret paying the money for his shift and select cables; one of the best buys for a Fiero out there. Any other aftermarket shift and select cables out there are useless crap.

[This message has been edited by Fiero84Freak (edited 08-28-2014).]

RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2014 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I tried to drive it in second gear, but then pulled over the moved it to first gear. Up here in the north we have these things called hills, and then these things called stop signs. I was in the valley by the river.
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2014 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I tried to drive it in second gear, but then pulled over the moved it to first gear. Up here in the north we have these things called hills, and then these things called stop signs. I was in the valley by the river.

shitty football teams, shitty drivers (joking...cept bout the football thing)
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, the Steeler's are not playing well. I still support them, but looks like this year they are not poised to do too well.

Anyway.

I bought the Fiero Store cables. Both. They both required modification to fit. The attachment to the shifter was too small and then I could not get them adjusted right. No second gear. I again had to make some modifications, but finally got them to work.

Some advice. Lube those linkages. It makes a big difference in the shifting. Overall it does shift better. But, for the money I would not expect to have to modify something.
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yeah, the Steeler's are not playing well. I still support them, but looks like this year they are not poised to do too well.

Anyway.

I bought the Fiero Store cables. Both. They both required modification to fit. The attachment to the shifter was too small and then I could not get them adjusted right. No second gear. I again had to make some modifications, but finally got them to work.

Some advice. Lube those linkages. It makes a big difference in the shifting. Overall it does shift better. But, for the money I would not expect to have to modify something.

ya didn't listen to us! I just installed rodneys select cable this past weekend, went right on, no mods, no fighting it, fit perfect....
PFF
System Bot
Big Paul

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Big PaulSend a Private Message to Big PaulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whatever you do, do not get the adjustable fiero store one. It's a ***** to get correct, I still don't have it right.
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2014 06:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I respect your advice but when I went to dickman's site it would not come up. I need to get it fixed. I ordered from the FS because I read the cables were the same.

To their credit, I have a different shifter, not the original on my 87 but, I think, an 84. (Remember that fad a few years back when we all switched our long row boat shifter for the 84 shorty?) That may account for some of the problems with installation.

My car is so modified, not to mention old, I can't get anything to fit and work right.

But, I have managed to make these work. Shift better.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2014 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I respect your advice but when I went to dickman's site it would not come up.

I just checked the link I posted. It goes directly to them for me.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 09-04-2014).]

hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2014 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I respect your advice but when I went to dickman's site it would not come up. I need to get it fixed. I ordered from the FS because I read the cables were the same.

To their credit, I have a different shifter, not the original on my 87 but, I think, an 84. (Remember that fad a few years back when we all switched our long row boat shifter for the 84 shorty?) That may account for some of the problems with installation.

My car is so modified, not to mention old, I can't get anything to fit and work right.

But, I have managed to make these work. Shift better.

yours is older then any of ours? :P if your shifters/ trans brackets have not been modified, then the cable should work just fine..

I just checked the link I posted. It goes directly to them for me.

yep. works for me too...

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock