Clutch pedal out of the blue only goes half way to the floor by CKDrums
Started on: 08-25-2014 08:35 AM
Replies: 16 (413 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 08-25-2014 09:34 PM
CKDrums

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2014 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CKDrumsClick Here to visit CKDrums's HomePageSend a Private Message to CKDrumsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, Last night driving home at 10pm i got about 1 mile into my drive and out of the blue my clutch pedal decides it will only go half way to the floor. Clearly I cant change gears at this point so I coast into a parking spot asap.

4 months ago and less then 50 miles ago I had the clutch replaced at a reputable auto shop that I know the owner well at. He told me they had the problems bleeding the new clutch and had to put an extended pushrod from another vehicle in to get the clutch working. He didnt understand why he had to do this because he bought all the proper parts to do the job but It seemed to work fin until last night.

I read a few threads with this problem but I never got a clear idea as to what the fix was or why this happends after everything was working fine.

Thanks to anyone that can chip in and help me figure this out.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2014 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would go back to the proper push-rod and work from there. It may be that something was incorrectly assembled, but using the wrong push rod is not going to fix an underlying problem. Perhaps the throw-out bearing is wrong or backwards.
Imnuts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2014 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ImnutsSend a Private Message to ImnutsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a similar problem a year ago: see link. Clutch started to release then pushed back and after the second try the peddle had no give and clutch would not disengage. It may have been caused by not breaking it in enough before I started driving it hard?

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/131913.html

Imnuts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2014 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ImnutsSend a Private Message to ImnutsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Imnuts

605 posts
Member since Jun 2013
There is also a slight change the clutch fork can somehow slip off the throw-out bearing if it is over extended on a Getrag. Happen once to me but don't remember what the clutch felt like at the time and never exactly figured out why it happened.
joeschuit

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2014 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joeschuitSend a Private Message to joeschuitEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If they removed the clutch arm on the transmission to replace the throwout bearing, they probably put it on the spline a tooth off. I did it on my car and didn't realize it till I was bottoming out my slave cylinder. Its a big pain to pop the arm off in the car so I made up a longer pushrod to compensate for the distance gained. I'd have a buddy physically look at the slave while you're pressing the pedal and see whats going on. Good Luck
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2014 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You could get Rodney Dickman's adjustable pushrod
CKDrums

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2014 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CKDrumsClick Here to visit CKDrums's HomePageSend a Private Message to CKDrumsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great info! Thank you I'll dive in tonight.
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2014 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

Rodney makes an adjustable banjo, but I don't think he makes and ajustable pushrod.
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2014 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TopNotch

3537 posts
Member since Feb 2009
The problem happened this way on my car: One "ear" of the throw-out bearing broke off, leaving the fork pushing only on one side. This caused the bearing to bind, making it very hard to push.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2014 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have to ask, what engine and transmission? There could be some confusion on the garage's part or the parts supplier's part as to the correct clutch kit. This is especially the case with the 86's because that year had every engine and transmission combination possible.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2014 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

Rodney sells an adjustable banjo (to the master)... which is at the other end of the system than the push rod (from the slave).

PFF
System Bot
CKDrums

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2014 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CKDrumsClick Here to visit CKDrums's HomePageSend a Private Message to CKDrumsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
87 GT When the shop couldn't get it to work at first they pulled the tranny out again, tried another clutch and a new clutch fork.
tuggajb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2014 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tuggajbSend a Private Message to tuggajbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I could never understand why a shop would think that they need to redesign a system that worked before they worked on it and didn't when they got done
Seen it too many times (and always)was clutch
Wrong part always the cause of problums
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2014 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CKDrums:

87 GT When the shop couldn't get it to work at first they pulled the tranny out again, tried another clutch and a new clutch fork.

The Getrag slave in the 87 requires a short slave pushrod. The long pushrod has caused the slave piston to bottom out at the bleeder end of the bore. It's probably pushing the throwout bearing and fork all the way back against the shaft sleeve seal area. Given a little time and use, all the fluid gets pushed back to the MC and eventually the MC piston won't come back to it's resting point to allow neutral fluid pressure throughout the system. Off the top of my head, I believe the Getrag pushrod is 4 1/2 inches long.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2014 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Even shorter than that!

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2014 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry for the incorrect advice on the pushrod.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2014 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you Gall. I'm not at home so I don't have access to my parts stash.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock