Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Lost keys. Dead battery. Opening hatches?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Lost keys. Dead battery. Opening hatches? by mental floss
Started on: 08-23-2014 12:46 PM
Replies: 12 (301 views)
Last post by: my-fiero on 08-25-2014 06:57 AM
mental floss

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-23-2014 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mental flossSend a Private Message to mental flossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm trying to help a friend who owns an '87 Fiero and lost the keys (he needs to move it). He thinks someone left them under one of the hatches where he had them opened last month. The doors aren't locked but the battery is dead. Is there a way to open the rear hatch without the key to get to the battery?
Also, I can loan him my tools to take the ignition out of the column. I assume it's like other GM columns in assembly?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Neils88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2014 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Assuming you're not trying to steal it. ...

You can trickle charge the battery through the cigarette lighter then pop the trunk using the trunk release button.

[This message has been edited by Neils88 (edited 08-23-2014).]

mental floss

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-23-2014 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mental flossSend a Private Message to mental flossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Because junky, tattered, non-drivable, nearly unwanted Fieros are highly sought by car thieves. Things must be different in your area. Since we're not Canadian, I can't identify with your logic.

There are plenty of mosquitoes where it is but there is no power available to the area.

[This message has been edited by mental floss (edited 08-23-2014).]

Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2014 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Solar trickle charger?

http://www.harborfreight.co...y-charger-68692.html

Or bring an extra charged battery with you.

[This message has been edited by Fieroseverywhere (edited 08-23-2014).]

mental floss

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-23-2014 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mental flossSend a Private Message to mental flossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like he's out of luck for other approaches then. Maybe a jump-start option with the cig lighter input. He has to move it by the end of the month.
Maybe a pile of other keys might by chance open it.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2014 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your answer is here - with pictures and everything

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...502-2-085536.html#p0
mental floss

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-23-2014 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mental flossSend a Private Message to mental flossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay, great. I wasn't even sure that switch was the front or rear hatch. He's not a Fiero guy so he didn't know either.
I'll go after the relay under the dash first.
So how does the front hatch open? Is there a pull cable as for a standard hood?

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
http://i.imgur.com/2P8cs4N.jpg
88FieroGT TTops

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2014 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FieroGT TTopsSend a Private Message to 88FieroGT TTopsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
underneath the vent you took a picture of--reach under it and there is a handle--pull it down--also there is an emergency release cable too

------------------
Pat Jones

mental floss

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-23-2014 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mental flossSend a Private Message to mental flossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you.
bjc 350

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2014 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you haven't already popped the trunk, just put 12volts to the cigarette lighter and the trunk lid will pop using the dash switch. I used a 12v. car battery as my source. I read about this method on Pennock's a number of years ago and used it to pop the trunk on an 85 Gt that has been in a warehouse for many years. It worked right away and I even made a jumper out of an old plug from a car vac. so it just plugs in and the trunk pops-dead battery or not! I can't remember who did the write up on this but I was really impressed since I had no keys to get into the trunk. Ended up not buying the car since it had a title problem. Three years later it still sits in that warehouse!
mental floss

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-25-2014 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mental flossSend a Private Message to mental flossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a plug in for the cig lighter so I soldered on some long wire to try that. At the storage lot it didn't work, but when we got it loaded and moved I tried again. It worked. You don't push the car icon on the lower part of the switch. You push the blank side of the rocker at the top. No time lost though since no keys were found. The car isn't so crusty underneath. It has 67k original miles. The exterior looks awful from someone grinding past the gel coat to trying to do his own paint prep. /
PFF
System Bot
my-fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2014 06:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for my-fieroSend a Private Message to my-fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
under the steer (rigth side) is a relay 3pins, take this out.

and put +12v on the black/white cable.

.....A.....
B........C (on C +12V)

it just pop open the trunk

Sory for my english, but i hope to help you.
my-fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2014 06:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for my-fieroSend a Private Message to my-fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

my-fiero

298 posts
Member since Dec 2002

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock