TCC solenoid replacement? by broderp
Started on: 08-22-2014 12:43 PM
Replies: 5 (440 views)
Last post by: 85 SE VIN 9 on 08-22-2014 07:25 PM
broderp

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2014 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for broderpSend a Private Message to broderpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've done some reading on auto Fiero's and a issue where coming to a stop causes the car to die. A few forums point out that this TCC solenoid has had a pretty high failure rate. Is there a write up that will give me an overview of how hard this is to swap out, so I can see if I can tacke this myself?

I think my wife 87 has this issue.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2014 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unplug it and if your problem goes away... that is the issue.

http://chuck.kichline.com/fiero/tcc.htm
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2014 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's the guide I followed back in 2005.
lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2014 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The TCC in my car failed last summer and I repaired it myself. It is not a difficult job, but there is one portion of the job that will try your patience. Go to RockAuto.com and order the following parts (use the part number search tool on the site):

TCC Solenoid: AC Delco 8689901
3rd gear switch: AC Delco 8643710
Side cover gasket: Fel Pro TOS 18661

You will also need 1 quart of trans fluid, as when you pull the side cover some fluid will drain out. I would recommend that you replace the 3rd gear switch while you are in there, as it is part of the TCC circuit. Some people don't think that 3rd gear switch is necessary, but it is a $6 part and worth replacing while you have the side panel off.

The hardest part of the job is plugging the new solenoid into the pass-through connector on the trans. Where that plug is, and the items that are in front of it (which cannot be easily removed for clearance) makes it a challenge to plug the connector in. If I had to do this again I think I would take a close look at the connector pass-through to see if it can be removed from the trans case (bright lights and mechanic mirror). I suspect (meaning unless I crack open a trans and try it out, I do not know for sure) that the pass through is pushed into the trans case from outside the trans and is held in place with one or more clips. If it could be removed, then the plug on the TCC could be passed through the hole (to outside of the trans), plugged into the connector pass-through, and then the whole thing could be reinstalled into the trans case. Even if I broke the connector pass-through I could go to a local trans shop and get a new one.

If you have any specific questions about this job, ask here or PM me.
BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2014 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I replaced my TCC and 3rd gear pressure switch only to find out that the real problem was my brake switch which tells it when to work or not. They are inexpensive as well and much easier to replace, I would start there.
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2014 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can wreak havoc with cruise control as well (in my experience with another vehicle)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock