EGR Block off. Do or dont? by Jayfelt
Started on: 08-21-2014 11:24 AM
Replies: 12 (2150 views)
Last post by: BrittB on 08-23-2014 05:13 PM
Jayfelt

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2014 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JayfeltSend a Private Message to JayfeltEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I need help making a decision on blocking the egr or not. I keep getting back and forth answers about it. I've been told it can slightly boost my performance and also got told it wont do anything but kill my gas and make my car run hot. So what is it guys. A do or don't?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2014 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not worth it... in my opinion.
A working EGR doesn't impact performance (for street use).

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 08-21-2014).]

Jayfelt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2014 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JayfeltSend a Private Message to JayfeltEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Not worth it... in my opinion.
A working EGR doesn't impact performance (for street use).

So what about non-street use?
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2014 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you modifying the engine for the track use? If not, leave the EGR

(The engine management was designed to work with the EGR, if you remove it, you are only going to make it harder for the engine to work like it is supposed to. The engine was designed for the EGR, keep it).

With that being said, I blocked off the EGR on my V6 because I was getting a stumble at certain RPMs and even replacing everything in the EGR, I couldn't fix it. So I just blocked it off. The car was not driven that much anyway. This is the only car I had to do that to. The rest worked just fine with the factory EGR, including 200K miles on an '88 Formula.

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 08-21-2014).]

lordbg0205

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2014 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lordbg0205Send a Private Message to lordbg0205Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Block it off, remove the whole system (valve and solenoid) and get a prom from reddevil river. The prom chip is programmed to nevrr ask for egr, so the engine never has to adjust fuel or air for it being deleted. Like it never happened.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2014 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lordbg0205:

Block it off, remove the whole system (valve and solenoid) and get a prom from reddevil river. The prom chip is programmed to nevrr ask for egr, so the engine never has to adjust fuel or air for it being deleted. Like it never happened.

And what do you feel is the end result?
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2014 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For street use... And means "race cars" driving to the track...

If car have Emission testing, block off or dead EGR can fail. Example: DE still requires all cars w/ normal tags to pass Emission test.

Q. What vehicles require emissions testing?
A: Emissions tests are required on automobiles and on trucks with a manufacturer’s gross vehicle weight rating (MGVWR) of 8500 pounds or less. Exceptions include vehicles manufactured before 1968, diesel-fueled vehicles manufactured before 1997, and motorcycles. DMV conducts approximately 400,000 tests each year.
source: www.dmv.de.gov/services/veh...aqs_inspection.shtml

Ignoring state test... W/o EGR then engine will generate more NOx.
More NOx can cause the cat to overheat and fail.
Many engines have more aggressive timing when EGR is used. W/o EGR, ECM/PCM can set codes and/or can cause timing issues, knocking or both. Example: 87 and up L4 and others are known knocking problems w/o good EGR. ECM is program w/ good EGR even w/o ECM "seeing" the EGR subsystem.

Race only cars... meaning Cars that will be trailer to the track... then nobody cares much.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2014 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Removing EGR to fix a "problem" may make that problem go away, but create others.
If it's a street car, leave it. It only functions under cruise. It won't impact performance.
A properly working EGR cools the combustion chamber temps and helps gas mileage. Removing it without reprogramming the ECM can actually cause problems with lean spark knock. Programming it out can hurt gas mileage and doesn't improve performance.
BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2014 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I removed mine and added the chip, the only difference is the intake doesn't soot up and access to work in that area is outstanding. I would leave it installed if you have DEQ in your area.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2014 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BrittB:

...and access to work in that area is outstanding.

That's one of the reasons why I've removed the TB coolant lines from three V6 Fieros.... but the EGR stays.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2014 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Leave it...
PFF
System Bot
Ponnari

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2014 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PonnariSend a Private Message to PonnariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Get the EGR system in good working order and Leave it on! You will be happier with the results for street use, IMO.
BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2014 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

That's one of the reasons why I've removed the TB coolant lines from three V6 Fieros.... but the EGR stays.

I got rid of both but I don't live in a DEQ area either.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock