wont idle, running rich by Dutchmadman7
Started on: 08-20-2014 06:06 PM
Replies: 12 (248 views)
Last post by: Dutchmadman7 on 09-10-2014 09:46 AM
Dutchmadman7

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2014 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dutchmadman7Click Here to Email Dutchmadman7Send a Private Message to Dutchmadman7Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 1986 fiero, v6 2.8, the problem is, it starts right up, idles about 2 mins @ 2000 then shuts off. Once I'm on the open road, it runs great. When I come to a stop, it shuts off and won't idle. It drinks a lot of fuel. It runs like a vacuum leak, but I've had it at 3 different garages, had 2 smoke tests and couldn't find any vacuum leaks. I've already replaced, EGR valve, EGR tube, MAP sensor, all injectors, new cap, new wires, new plugs, new ECU. Tank was empty, fuel pump was checked, replaced many parts. Everyone says they can't find anything wrong, but it runs like crap, and won't idle. Any help would be appreciated. I've had the car 4 years, and have only put 400 miles on it, and that's from garage to home, to garage, to home, etc.

Thank you
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 308
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2014 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It could be several things including a malfunctioning Coolant Temperature Sender (the one that feeds an input to the ECM), or the Idle Air Control valve that is sticking, or a number of other things. Are you getting any ECM codes? Do you know how to check for stored codes? Have you checked to make sure your Service Engine Soon light isn't burnt out? A trouble code would definitely help narrow things down.

[This message has been edited by Bloozberry (edited 08-20-2014).]

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2014 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-08-2018).]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 179
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2014 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum

Is this car an automatic or stick?
Dutchmadman7

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2014 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dutchmadman7Click Here to Email Dutchmadman7Send a Private Message to Dutchmadman7Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys my feiro is a 4 speed..and yes if i catch it i can keep it running but when driving its already shut off when i come to a stop sign i have to kick start it before i come to a complete stop. im trying the idle control valve today see how that looks or if it works at all.thank for all the info
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2014 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageClick Here to Email phonedawgzSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IAC rarely goes bad. Check the bore to make sure it is clean. If the idle speed comes back up when you 'catch it' and returns to normal then the ISC is working.

Does your check engine light work (it should be on, key on engine off) and does it ever come on?

Does your speedo work correctly?

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 08-21-2014).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2014 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageClick Here to Email fierofoolSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would lean heavily toward the coolant temperature sender. They don't always set a trouble code when they fail. Mine failed suddenly and was so bad that, like you, I had to keep revving the engine at a stop light, and it was smoking like a diesel. Once moving it did pretty good.

I drove to my garage and had them put a scanner on it to find the problem. We then unplugged the CTS and I drove to the auto parts store to get a new one. Had a pretty high idle but the black smoke went away. The scanner showed that the old one was reading something like -28 f and it still didn't set a trouble code.

Another thing that's often overlooked is the Intake Air Temp Sensor in the side of the filter canister. Because it's tucked out of the way, we just don't think about it. You can test all your temperature sensors with an ohmeter and this chart:

http://www.gafiero.org/bbs/index.php?topic=641.0
Dutchmadman7

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2014 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dutchmadman7Click Here to Email Dutchmadman7Send a Private Message to Dutchmadman7Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes when the engine is off but the key is on the lite is on but its not on other wise. but my oil gauge jumps all the way up when i start it upand while its running.......so if i pull the plug on the canister it mite run better if its shot rite thats easy to try if that rite.....ok guys il get back to u as soon as i get to try a few things you sugested. thanks for the info.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2014 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageClick Here to Email phonedawgzSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can always get a cable and scan it with your Windows laptop

http://reddevilriver.com/aldl.html

*cheap self promotion
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2014 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageClick Here to Email fierofoolSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No. Pulling the plug on the canister disconnects the intake air temp sensor. The coolant temperature sensor is in the passenger end of the lower intake manifold, just above the top of the timing chain cover and water pump and almost straight below the thermostat housing neck. It sits vertically and points at the left rear wheel well. You will need to remove the EGR solenoid for easy access. It has an oval 2 wire harness going into it. Maybe phonedawgz has a picture he can post. I'm away from home and don't have access to my PC files.
Dutchmadman7

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2014 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dutchmadman7Click Here to Email Dutchmadman7Send a Private Message to Dutchmadman7Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok guys this is what i learned in the past few wks. i changed the icv that didnt change the way it idles or runs at all i took it to have the codes read on a lap top but it shows no codes! it was smoked again no vacume leaks also checked the coolent sensor its good but when we boosted the vacume up to 18 at the map it smoothed out any more ideas ....i need help!!!!
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2014 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageClick Here to Email phonedawgzSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How did you boost the vacuum up on the MAP?
Dutchmadman7

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2014 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dutchmadman7Click Here to Email Dutchmadman7Send a Private Message to Dutchmadman7Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
we used a tool thats ment just for measuring and boosting vacume it a hand pump with a gauge on it .when we boosted it up to 18lbs it smoothed right out so were now looking at the bottom intake gaskets as the caupret il post more in a few days.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock