Overspray by Csjag
Started on: 08-19-2014 10:22 PM
Replies: 11 (260 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 08-23-2014 10:27 AM
Csjag

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2014 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When re-painting what is the best way to mask off the door jambs and shut lines to keep paint from getting in at the door gaps and hood gaps etc. while spraying the body panels?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2014 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
6" masking paper ($10 a roll)taped ($2 a roll) to the jams, outlined with blue" fineline" tape ($3 a roll)to keep the paint edge clean.
Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2014 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You could tape the jam and then put in thick foam like canopy tape to take up the gap.

------------------
86 SE Convertible 3800sc 4t65e HD.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2014 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I outline the parts I want to mask with just 3/4" tape first, then stick paper (6"-18") to that. I dont suggest plastic because some kinds get paint on it and it flakes right off falling in your new paint just from the paint gun air pressure. If you paint the same color, I try to get almost the edge of the panel so the break line dont show...you can even lightly sand it off later. If you change colors, you need to tape back farther so the original color dont show in the gaps. I personally dont like the foam seal, because it can squeeze out or in, ruining where you break it.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2014 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Didn't all Fieros come with black door jambs and inner panels?

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2014 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

Didn't all Fieros come with black door jambs and inner panels?

All I've ever seen or heard yes.
(Well the underside of panels like the decklid and hood were not really black but a sort of gray. I actually think that may have not been the same shade every year but it was never body color.)
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2014 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, but some color is on the very edges. The edges inside the hood and deck lid are painted car color though.
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2014 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

When re-painting what is the best way to mask off the door jambs and shut lines to keep paint from getting in at the door gaps and hood gaps etc. while spraying the body panels?

Take the panels off the car?
Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2014 08:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TopNotch:

Take the panels off the car?

That's what I like to do. I usually only leave the two roof panels on when I paint a Fiero.
It takes a LOT of taping to paint one put together - you have to tape off & cover EVERYTHING that is not getting painted including the bottom of the hood & decklid, & FULLY cover the door openings so as not to get overspray on the interior (cause Roger says I'm "REALLY ANAL" about getting overspray on the interior.... (ever tried to clean overspray off of EVERYTHING in your interior?).
Also, the bumpers are very hard to paint on the car, even on jackstands. You really need to be able to shoot paint from behind the front cover to get the openings fully painted.
HTH,
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2014 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With the very little bit of the jams that needs painted ( I use a hobby airbrush) on a Fiero, as long as your masked 6" away from the paint, theres no overspray. My high end Accuspray gun also makes virtually no overspray in the air. I painted my jams with black interiors and didnt get anything that didnt wipe off with a Calif Duster. On a restoration job, the cars I did didnt have any interior in them.

Even with masking off the entire door opening, engine bay, and trunk area, I can mask off a Fiero completely in a an hour. All I remove are tail lights, headlite covers and wing/rack. I even mask off the wheel wells at the lip. I run a strand of insulated electric wire under the windshield lip so I can paint the roof under it. If someone wants a panel off paintjob, the price automaticly doubles for material and labor. Guy down the street did his own...panel off. He scratched 1/2 the panels putting it back together and had to repaint them anyway...on the car...and it didnt match what he already painted. So now he has a shiney painted POS.
Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2014 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:
Even with masking off the entire door opening, engine bay, and trunk area, I can mask off a Fiero completely in a an hour.

You should change your name to "The Flash"!
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2014 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All later model cars are that easy since they stopped doing chrome. Pretty much you got glass and head/tail lights and your done. Now a 58 Buick or Olds was an all day masking job...I think a 1/4 ton of the car was chrome.

I did my new 86 Mustang with a color change (because they wouldnt order it the color I wanted). I pulled it in the shop at 8AM and drove it home at lunch. It was a show car job (time didnt include color sand and buff though, for the next day). Changed if from black to burgundy-wine.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 08-23-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock